9 Week old Mouthing and Teaching Off!

Thread: 9 Week old Mouthing and Teaching Off!

finlaychoclab is offline Junior Member

Default9 Week old Mouthing and Teaching Off!

Hi There!

So, we have a 9 week old choc lab- his mouthing seems to be getting more freuqent than last week. is this normal? He is very good at mouthing his toys when we distract and hardly ever touches furniture or anything like that. However we notice that during play sessions, he can sometime go into his play bow and then go to snap at our hands. even if we do the 'yelp' and then walk away- when we return its like the game is continuing for him. Someone has suggested about a time out room? what do people think about this? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Also should i be allowing soft mouthing at this age- or should i be starting to stop it on humans all together? thoughts please?

Most Obedience he picks up really quickly- but we just cant master the off Command when he has toys and we want him to let go so we can throw it again! if that makes sense? any tips or top secrets about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

You are doing everything right ! He will eventually get it. Some pick it up quicker than others.

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't allow any mouthing at this age. I would think it would be confusing.

Any time either of my pups would open their mouth and start towards a person in what looked to be that they were going to nip, we would hold their mouth closed with a firm, "no bite". I never thought we would see the day of no biting, but it did stop. Just be consistent. It will work!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How many weeks have you had him?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Those little teeth are like razors! I remember my arms looked like swiss cheese there for awhile. Mouthing is such a normal part of puppy play, that it was more difficult for us to break Sophie of it. It took about a month till she finally figured out what all our fuss was about! We put a hand on her muzzle and commanded Don't Bite! every time she mouthed us. EVERY time. We did not allow soft chewing on us either. They can't distinguish the difference at such a young age. It sounds like what you are calling "off" is what we taught for "drop it". When your pup has a toy or something you don't want him to have, he needs to learn to drop it. We taught Sophie pretty easily. You will need some treats. When your pup has something you want dropped, command "drop it" and show him the treat. He will naturally drop what he has for the treat. Praise him and give the treat. Practice this through out the day. Command, treat, praise....he'll pick it up quickly. We have been thankful for the command many times. Just the other day, Sophie snagged my niece's Barbie doll and took off across the yard. I yelled, Sophie, Drop it! She dropped it like a hot potato! Barbie saved! Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Erendui is offline Senior Member

I found teaching my dog 'kiss' (which is basically a lick to the hand) worked in combination with yelping and walking out the room. Whenever we were playing and he licked me instead of biting, I would give him loads of fuss, and if he bit, then I'd yelp/say "No bite!" and walk out the room for 15 seconds. He hardly ever bites now unless he's in his super hyperactive mode! But once he got that he could just lick me and that was a positive thing (he also does it on command, even if he's not playing) then he diverted his behaviour to this. Of course it depends if you want him licking you or not, but I think it's really cute

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

This is quite helpful! I'll be having a 8 week old Fox Red puppy home next month - so I'm glad I can look up advice & tips! Thank goodness.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”