Just Labradors banner

Puppy class, walks per day and barking

989 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Parcae 
#1 ·
Roffe is now four months old and tonight we are starting puppy class. How much exercise should I give him before class? Any ideas of things to bring other than treats? Any other advice you have for us would be great.

And I also have a question about number of walks per day. We walk Roffe five or six times a day, some of them pretty short and some of them longer. Total exercise per day would be about 40 minutes. Is this enough? Or is it too much? He is housetrained and does all his business outside. We take him out for a walk every four hours. I'm not sure how much bladder control he does have and how long he can wait. When can we start walking him every five hours? I guess it is pretty individual but generally speaking.. I don't want to rush him.

He is pretty vocal when it's time for food, especially in the morning. He acts like he haven't eaten for a week. We don't give him food until he stops barking but mornings can be pretty hectic and we don't always have that much time. Any ideas on how to get him to stop barking? I would also appreciate any advice to get him to stop barking at our cat.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
At five months, Dylan was getting a minimum of 10 minutes exercise before his puppy class.

Rule is 5 minutes per month of age - 20 minutes at a time at the moment.

It depends upon the dog, but I stopped Jasper from barking by using a spray can filled woth water. Some dogs love water though so it may or may not work !

The puppy class will tell you what to bring other than treats ( Cheese or cooked liver or frankfurter are favourites )

#5 ·
I'll just give him some light exercise before puppy class then. I must admit, I am pretty nervous for tonight. I keep picturing him ignoring me and chasing the other puppies.
And I'll try the spray can with water. Hopefully it will help.
Thank you.

#3 ·
At that age he needs off leash free play for exercise. walks are nice but not exercise (and yes they should be shortish at that age). Find a safe place to let him run and play.

I assume you live in some time of apt or condo if you are walking him to pee? Pee breaks don't have to be walks. I live in an apt and we have many pee breaks where we just go out to the nearest grassy spot, they get the command to pee and we are back inside in 5 or so minutes. A "potty outing" is not a walk unless you actually go for a full walk each time.

I think every four hours makes sense to bring the dog out to pee. I average about that when i am around the house even with the adults.

The best trick for dogs that bark for food that I heard: start preparing supper. If he barks, bowl goes in the sink and you move on to something else. then try again. it may take awhile to feed him teh first few days but if you stick to it, it shoudl be short term pain for long term gain.

Ask the teacher/school what you should bring, in fact they should share those details with all teh students. Yes to treats, something easy to break into small pieces and yummy. Ideally you wan ta pouch or something to put them in so they are somewhat out of site (i.e. you don't want to be holding the bag in your hands or beside you and visible while you train)

ETA: ok you are on teh rigth track for food. If you do not have time to play this in teh morning I would personnaly throw the kibble in his crate to eat when you laeave the house.

#4 ·
We do try to get a little off leash every day. We visit the dog park or go for walks in the woods.
Yup, we do live in an apartment. Then I'll just continue with every four hours, and keep some of them just short potty breaks.

Great advice with the food. I will definitely try that next time.
Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.