What am I looking for in a trainer?

Thread: What am I looking for in a trainer?

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat am I looking for in a trainer?

Well, as great as my pups are and as sweet as I, and everyone else thinks they are, I have to find a trainer. They are great at the basics...sit, down, here, kennel, stay, wait. However, the jumping and greeting people has gotten so bad that I can't even have them out when people come over or take them anywhere without risking my shoulders being pulled out of their socket or one of them knocking someone down. At 8 months and roughly 70 pounds, they could really hurt someone.

So, I'm on a mission to find a trainer to give me private lessons and really help me out.

What am I looking for? What do I ask? I know it all comes down to me in the end...putting in the time and consistency, which I THOUGHT I was doing, but I'm obviously doing something wrong because it isn't getting better.

Any suggestions on how to begin looking for a reputable trainer?

Thanks!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I would look for a trainer that had obedience titled dogs themselves. Someone who walks the walk and talks the talk.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

What dogmom said, as well as someone that will actually put in the work with you and your dogs. Sounds so obvious, I know! But I had an issue with Diesel and called a trainer to come over... her time was NOT cheap and she told me what to do, didn't actually give me any "hands on" help. Total waste of time and money.

Make sure they have references/testimonials. Google them. Find out how much it will cost for a consultation/meet & greet with you and your dogs before any real work begins. You all have to get along!

Just curious... have you tried stepping on their leash to prevent a jump? Works with most dogs, definitely worked on Diesel. Man he did not see that one coming and did not like being "jerked" back down, it was like he just got clotheslined!! Or you can do the turn/walk away/do a circle thing before the person approaches or as you know they are about to jump up. Just make sure you try a few tricks out of the bag before you fork over money.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with all the above advice. Especially keeping them leashed when visitors come in and stepping on the leash. It worked for Maxx! I spent a week working on this, recruiting various friends, family and neighbors to come to the door over and over again and meeting them outside on the street. He quickly learned that jumping was not acceptable and if he wanted their attention he had better sit nicely and calmly for it. If you can work on this on your own you may not need a trainer to come in. Good luck, I have no doubt you will be able to get this under control rather quickly!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

You guys are right. I can do this myself. I was just having a moment of frustration yesterday. Really, they are SUCH good dogs. I have absolutely no complaints other than the jumping when they greet people, but to me, that is really a big one.We are definitely in the teen stage too. Things that they have known and have done brilliantly they now have to sit and think about and sometimes just don't do. Guess I was in fairytale land thinking it was always going to be easy!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to persevere some more before I go the route of a trainer. I have no problem saying when I need help!!
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I am glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Teen stage is soooo frustrating, but it passes, you made it through the puppy stage so you can do this too!