Crate training at night is horrible!

Thread: Crate training at night is horrible!

Tyshyne is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrate training at night is horrible!

My 10 week is ok in the crate during the day. Sometimes he will fuss but not long and will sleep for an hour or more but at night he barks for ever. I've caved in and let him sleep with me as I do have kids sleeping in the house and hate to wake them. He does great, last night he slept from 10-3 am went pee and back to sleep until after 5 am. What can I do to break this or is it ok to be doing this? We have had him 5 days and he had a few accidents day on day 1, a few on day 2 none on 3 and one on 4. So far today has been good, I think he's getting to go by the gate when he's ready.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Parcae is offline Senior Member

We did not crate train at all so if I were in your position I would just let him sleep with you during the night.

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

When you let him out of the crate when he complains, you teach him that barking is an effective way to get a better place to sleep. While it is not fun to have a complaining baby disrupting the household, if you don't tough it out for a few nights he will never be crate trained.

I would suggest putting the crate in your bedroom - that way he may feel like he has company and may settle quicker.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    When you let him out of the crate when he complains, you teach him that barking is an effective way to get a better place to sleep. While it is not fun to have a complaining baby disrupting the household, if you don't tough it out for a few nights he will never be crate trained.

I would suggest putting the crate in your bedroom - that way he may feel like he has company and may settle quicker.
    My boyfriend wants to put Ryder's crate in the living room or kitchen, not in our bedroom. Is this OK? We live in a ranch house, with a basement (but he won't be down there, since it is unfinished). So the house is small so we can hear everything that goes on in this house. I feel like I want the crate in our bedroom, but not by the bed, but in the corner of the room. There is plenty of room for it so I figured we could do this the first couple nights when he's at his new home with us?
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”

DB4Y is offline Junior Member

Have you tried covering the crate partially with a light blanket? When I put my 12-week old in his crate at night I cover the front and a portion of the sides with a lightweight blanket (you obviously need to keep spots open for proper air flow). He sometimes will whine for a few minutes at most but then he is fine for the rest of the night. My parents did that with their dog starting from when he was 7 weeks old and 2 years later it still works like a charm for him.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Covering the crate works for some, but I would recommend putting the crate next to the bed so that you can put your hand through the bars to reassure him.

Sassafras is offline Junior Member

Crate next to the bed works like a charm for us and our 12 week old girl. She whines for under a minute then settles right down. We also have a bedtime "routine" as well, which seems to help her know when it is time to sleep. We do about 5 minutes of training, go out to go potty, then straight upstairs to the bedroom. We snuggle for a minute, then she goes into her crate where she gets a couple of treats (she loves to go in her crate now because she knows that = treats). Then we turn off the lights and turn on the fan. We do that in the SAME order every night, and she really seems to get it.

She goes in about 10, gets up to potty around 230 or 3, then is up for the day at 615 during the week and has slept as late as 7 on weekends.