my 14 wk labrador puppy had it's back leg pulled by bigger dog, now she's limping

Thread: my 14 wk labrador puppy had it's back leg pulled by bigger dog, now she's limping

mydoggyash is offline Junior Member

Defaultmy 14 wk labrador puppy had it's back leg pulled by bigger dog, now she's limping

hi
    a week ago, my mum's 15 month old labrador (brandi) was chasing my 14 week old labrador (ash). in order to stop puppy ash, big brandi grabbed a hold of ash's back left leg and yanked it out from underneath her and ash fell to the ground. i was horrified. ash has been limping around for a week. i've been massaging her daily but it doesn't seem to be getting better. in particular, i notice it most after she's been lynig for a while, and when she gets up to move it her limp is more pronouced at that time.
    the thing is, if i take her to the vet, she's get an xray and then what? if the pelvic plates have been moved with the yanking (eg. the pubic symphysis or hte sacro-iliac joints) - what could hte vet do (i feel like i need a dog osteopath). and if it's muscular, that doesn't show up on the xray. so i don't want her to get radiated unnecessarily.
    has anybody had any experience with puppies having a leg pulled out the back of their body by a bigger dog and what happened to them in the long run? does anybody have any insight or suggestion for what i could do to help her?
    any feedback would be grately appreciated.
    thank you
    leesa

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hi again, also, does anybody know which is the best dog anatomy book. i've seen the miller's one for $133 from the bookdepository.co.uk and i was wondering if anybody uses that one or has another one they could suggest so that i can study ash's muscles and joints to assist my massaging her hips?
    thanks so much
    leesa

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If she is still limping after a week, she needs to see a vet. Your vet is the only one who can assess any damage. We would only be guessing. The radiation from an xray is small.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

You need to stop the guesswork, get off the internet & get the dog to a vet. Only a thorough check up by a qualified vet will determine what's wrong & the appropriate treatment.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry but I agree with the above. You absolutely need to have this discussion with a professional. a vet. no book is going ot help you here. no one online can adequately diagnose your puppy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Get to a vet. It is possibly a soft tissue injury - which will take time to heal - but it could very well be other than soft tissue and you are certainly not qualified to make that determination by reading a book about anatomy. See a vet - let them evaluate - do an x-ray if they advise you to and get your puppy some help!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

hi

thanks for that. i called the vet today and she told me to give it a few more days before i take ash into see her. she told me that if ash has not ceased all limping by 10 days from the injury that i should take her in. but i've decided to take ash in on thursday anyway, because you're right, i want to be sure - since i'm not really experience to tell if she has really ceased all limping. as there might be residual injury without limping.

the other problem is that i didn't realise that i really needed to be resting her quite a bit after the injury (which the vet told me today). i'm confident that hte vet i spoke to on the telephone today has the experience to be able to give me a good insight as to what damage ash may have sustained. (since i had been seeing another male vet up until now)

it's a bit tricky with ash because even before this injury, she didn't seem that agil on her back legs (but she's better now than what she was at 6 weeks). she saw a vet 2 weeks ago for her 2nd lot of injections adn he checked her over and didn't comment on any hip problems at that point (and she saw the same vet about 3 weeks before that for her eye and he didn't see anything adverse at that point). i've heard that they are a bit uneasy on their legs when they are puppies. has anybody had this experience with their puppies?

thanks everybody for your advice. i feel a bit stupid for not thinking this myself initially. i just found that i was taking her to the vet for every little thing and so i guess in this instance, i wondered if i shouldn't just wait it out. before i owned ash, i'd never even owned a plant, and people have been telling me to not be so paranoid about every little thing that seems wrong with her. like the other day she had trouble to do a poo in the morning (because of a bone) and so i rang the vet about that and he told me just to wait it out and see what happened. by the next morning she was regular again.

i also wanted to add that i asked the vet if ash could sustain worse injury if i do wait until thursday (10 days from the injury) to see her and she said no. she said that if it were a fracture, yes, but if it's soft tissue or something, then no. also, i had spoken to many people previous to posting on this forum and they were telling me that she would be fine and for me to be not so paranoid (like my mum, the breeder i bought her off, the neighbour etc). but i did think that as she seems to be growning so quickly, i just imagine that if an injury does take several weeks to heal, and she grows significantly in several weeks, then i imagine that a joint injury could significantly affect the growth of the joint (i'm not sure if i'm right about this).

actually, does anybody know a good book about how to keep puppies safe while they are puppies (i was told the other day that i should not exercise her too much, and that she shouldn't play with big dogs (i wish i'd heard this one before the big dog incident) until she is 12 months old). but the thing is that i haven't been able to find this type of info on the internet and i'm guessing there must be a book with these types of guidelines.

thanks so much in advance for anybody who replies. i REALLY appreciate it.

leesa

SweetShelby is offline Senior Member

If I was you, I'd just read this forum, you've entered the right place to learn from very knowledgeable members and people, like you, who are going through the same situation. You'll gain a ton of first-rate advice reading what they have to say, plus great links from the real pros with even more excellent free advice.