Puppy Vet Advice

Thread: Puppy Vet Advice

NYJoe is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Vet Advice

This little guy is coming to me on Tues Nov 6th flying in all the way from Arkansas. As the date gets closer I get more nervous/excited. I think I have almost everything I will need. Unfortunately I work 8-5, BUT I will have a dog walker coming 2x a day for the first month at least then one time per day after (30 min at a time) so hopefully he will do ok. I am trying to find the right vet ( I am moving to an area 40 min east of here the week after we get the puppy) and know no one in that area. So far I have just looked up places online and looked at reviews. I am going to try to go to them in person as well this week. Does anyone have any other ideas to check out a vet? Also will be getting pet insurance so have to make sure whatever insurance I get that the vet I go to takes it. Argg..so much to do! Thanks for any tips and advice. Here he is....son.jpg

Joe on Long Island

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

where are you moving to?
    do you have a dog now?

NYJoe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    where are you moving to?
    do you have a dog now?

No dog now. Been 15 years since I had a dog. I live in NYC but moving out on Long Island to a town called Commack. Reason it's been so long since my last lab is I have been in an apartment but now will have a house with a fenced in yard with a pool. There are a few vets in the area some have flashier websites than the others. One has been on news segments on
    things like Today Show etc but I know that means nothing. I just want a good quality vet and just wondered how others checked them out on here .

Joe

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm amazed you had to go to Arkansas to find a puppy! There are many good breeders in the tri-state area.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

NYJoe is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I'm amazed you had to go to Arkansas to find a puppy! There are many good breeders in the tri-state area.
    This was a highly recommended breeder to me from a friend who has 2 dogs from this breeder that I just love so I went with them. Near or far was not on the top of my list of priorities. Knowing first hand the quality and care was.

Joe

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I highly recommend Healthy Paws insurance. I work at a Vet clinic and I can honestly say we have all been surprised at the coverage with this insurance. My friend got this for her train wreck Lab and so far they have had TPLO done with complete coverage as well as everything leading up to the TPLO. Plus he has elbows that will require treatment in the near future and this insurance will cover elbow and hip dysplasia. She pays about $30. per month. His medical expenses in the first year they have had him are over $6000. They will have paid less than $500. out of pocket.

And with pet insurance, you pay the costs and are then reimbursed. So you can go to any Vet you choose. Friends dog had TPLO done and they received the reimbursement check within 10 days. We have some insurance companies that will take months to reimburse.

And by the way, friends Lab, he is a BYB, over sized, medical nightmare. They adore him but have learned a very expensive lesson. He is only 2 and has multiple orthopedic surgeries ahead of him, thanks to an idiot with 2 dogs he was sure would make great puppies.