14 Wk New Puppy Snapping at 7yo Daughters

Thread: 14 Wk New Puppy Snapping at 7yo Daughters

esedlock is offline Junior Member

Default14 Wk New Puppy Snapping at 7yo Daughters

We just adopted a 14 wk male (half lab/half german pointer) and he is fine with my husband and me. However, when my 7 yos try to pet him, he will bark and snap at them. I have never had a dog behave that way so I am at a loss. My daughter, Noel, is afraid because he snaps. He caught her sleeve and there was a little tear. As an FYI, we have a chocolate lab female and the girls are GREAT with dogs. No pulling tails, etc. She put her hand down toward the dog and he barked. Ideas? Do we need to find him a home without kids?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is there any chance you can find a puppy class nearby? I would start with that.

I don't think anyone can assess your dog online. If you have TRUE concerns about your dog and kids, you need to talk to a professional that can come evaluate your dog. I highly doubt there is no hope for a 14 week old though. I would have the 7 year old work on training the dog and feeding the dog. Like an adult. Obviously you need to be right there backing her and helping her.

Where did you get the puppy? any idea on her history?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

esedlock is offline Junior Member

We adopted him from a vet. He was a stray that was found at age 8-9 weeks. He lived ~4 weeks at the vet. Unfortunately, we know very little about his life prior to being found.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Our puppy Lucic, 8 weeks old this weekend does the same (seems to be playful nipping/barking) with my 7 and 9 year old twins, I told them they have to give him a firm NO as I do and he will stop. I make sure to let my kids know not to run from him or back down. I purchased gloves from home depot to protect their fingers while they correct Lucic. As Tanya stated, be there for backup whenever possible, for me its time and patients with our puppy.

~Paul

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

Max is great with adults and most kids. My 10 year old is his best buddy. My 5 year old gets growls from Max on occasion. No idea why. The 5 year old is pretty hyper, we call him our Bull in a China Shop.

Max has NEVER nipped I know I am quite lucky here. The growls concern me so I stay close and never leave Max alone with the little guy.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

A 14 week old puppy growling and snapping is part of puppy play. When puppies play with each other, that is what they do. It sounds like he looks at your kids as his littermates. He's not being aggressive, he's a baby. You need to train him in what behavior is acceptable. I would get him in puppy classes ASAP... How long have you had him? You need to be reinforcing the "don't bite" command. As far as the tear in the sleeve....my husband's jeans have holes in the leg from when Sophie was a baby, she would snag him when he walked by...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    A 14 week old puppy growling and snapping is part of puppy play. When puppies play with each other, that is what they do. It sounds like he looks at your kids as his littermates. He's not being aggressive, he's a baby. You need to train him in what behavior is acceptable. I would get him in puppy classes ASAP... How long have you had him? You need to be reinforcing the "don't bite" command. As far as the tear in the sleeve....my husband's jeans have holes in the leg from when Sophie was a baby, she would snag him when he walked by...
    Agreed. I also suspect your kids are considered "other puppies" to the pup. Thus the importance of them playing more of a role in training (with you by their side).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky