Crate anxiety?

Thread: Crate anxiety?

specialk1979 is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrate anxiety?

I have a 12 week old yellow lab puppy, we got him at 8.5weeks. We started crate training immediately, however every single night he would fall asleep without a problem, then wake up as early as 1:30 am, we'd take him out to potty, and then if we were lucky he'd fall back to sleep for 30 minutes and then wake up barking, screaching and crying at the crate door..this happens everynight. He is in a large metal crate with a divider, crate cover and crate "mattress" has a stuffed animal, a shirt that has our scent on it and a nylabone. Crate is next to the bed, have tried sticking my hand in the crate to comfort him, tried tapping the crate to quiet him, have even slept on the floor next to the crate...all in an attempt to get him to sleep more than 3-4hrs a night. We did NOT let him out of the crate while he was crying. It was as if he was panicking. During the day he is placed in a xpen attached to a larger crate while i'm working, he does great in it. So last night i moved the xpen and attached it to the crate in the bedroom, slept like a baby...so my question is..does he have some sort of claustrophobia? Or has anyone had any similiar experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I don't think he's claustrophobic - I think he's just a typical puppy trying to get it's way.

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Hey! Don't know if this is a bit late, but I'm a brand new member and this post speaks to me completely. My chocolate lab is 14 weeks on tuesday, and he loves his crate by day, goes in on command etc. etc. However, at night it is a completely different story. He has completely worked out that going into his crate at 11pm means he will be left for 8 hours (not including his toilet break in between, which I try to do based on an alarm so he doesn't associate barking with me coming down - a strategy that works about 10% of the time, ha!).

Anyway, it isn't just a case of "boo hoo, let me out!" it's a case of OH MY GOD, WHERE HAVE YOU GONE?! MY WORLD IS CRUMBLING!!! In the morning his blankets are completely soaked with saliva from him panting so much. His toenails are wearing down at the front because of his constant digging. It has got better, but it is very very slow progress. He isn't in the same room as me and my partner, as I want to teach him a little independence (I am between jobs at the moment so have been by his side almost constantly since I got him, which is probably a factor in his anxiety, I really need to learn to let go for an hour or two every day )

I've had treats in there, nice toys, stuffed kongs etc. etc... he'll even BEG to go in during the day if we have it closed, he paws and whines at the crate, which I encourage because I want him to really really want to go into his crate. As I said, it is getting better slowly slowly, and I have seen some improvement if I take him on a walk before bed, and also if I leave a light on outside the room he is in.

Sooooo... my point is; it is horrible for both us owners and the puppies, but I am seeing some progress. Don't give up! It is very very hard the first few weeks, but as your love grows and their behaviour improves, it gets much easier to cope with

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You don't teach a puppy to be independent by forced separation - that IMO produces the opposite result. Secure puppies (who have a schedule, clear leadership and can count on being well treated and cared for) naturally develop independence as an aspect of maturing. I don't see anything wrong with crating your puppy in your room since he seems to be reacting badly to being in a separate room. That much salivation is not normal at all.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

At what sort of age do you think he'll start accepting going in his crate without being put in? As I said before, he goes in in the day and I put little bits of chicken in his crate to entice him in at night. Do you think I should see a vet about the amount of saliva lost when panting? I mean once I put him in his crate for literally 5 minutes whilst I vacuum cleaned the front room. Because he was shut in there, he decided to panic again and by the end of the 5 mins, the bottom of his crate looked as if I'd squirted a water hose on it! It wasn't a puddle like it would if he had done a wee in there, but lots of little splatters of spit He is a very confident dog and not anxious at all (it's bonfire night tomorrow, there has been lots of fireworks all weekend and he hasn't even lifted his head to acknowledge the loud bangs outside).

A bit worried about his level of panting now :/

*By "accepting" I mean not crying when I leave the room and he is locked in his crate?

K2-Kevin is offline Member

If you haven't worked on something like this, maybe it would help. I've been training "go to bed" for the command to get in your crate, and treating her when shes in. After about a week she runs in her crate, lays down and waits to be treated.