Chewing Clods of earth

Thread: Chewing Clods of earth

DJsMOM is offline Member

QuestionChewing Clods of earth

Does anyone have any advice please? DJ picks up & chews every clod of earth we pass. It's not a poo thing, its the lumps of mud & grass that come off of boots & training shoes and divots in the park. I am constantly scooping them off the roof of his mouth & pulling them out of the back of his throat because he chokes on them.

DJ&Ace_Oct12.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like our puppy, have not been able to stop him since day 1, anything and everything (currently on day 5)

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

Max does this too. I try to avoid grass that has been cut recently so there is less temptation. Also I try to keep him moving so he does not have time to sniff and pickup stuff.

My success rate is less than half
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. Mo will grab clumps of grass, mulch, and dirt and then butt tuck around the yard like he just nabbed a juicy steak. I just reinforce the "drop" command and praise the heck out of him when he lets go. On walks, I just make sure to keep him moving. He gets distracted VERY easily. He does have a tendency to grab a branch and then proudly carry it around the block.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

justine is offline Senior Member

I would work on a firm "leave it" and "drop it" command. Sometimes what helps with the "drop it" command is getting them to trade for something better that you have. Abbey will trade me anything for a piece of cheese, but Kolby will trade me anything for basically anything else. He is a goof and always wants what you have, regardless of what it is.

DJsMOM is offline Member

Thanks guys. He found a stick on the way to the park & carried it the whole time. No interest in the dirt at all. I think he likes having something in his mouth - just one of those quirky little things that make them individuals I guess. Maybe he'll grow out of it

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa used to do that. I was watching Aidan play soccer one day and she was grazing and churning up lumps of soil when a man told me to feed her peas. Thought he was looney.
    He said he was a vet and often they lack some vitamin or nutrient found in peas. I feed her frozen peas for a couple of ays and she stopped. Who knows if it is right, but she stopped. Tried it with Tessa when I got her and she stopped.
    Few in the dog park have tried it and worked.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

DJsMOM is offline Member

Great, the peas seem to work. But oh my goodness, I have never known such a smell. The little cutie spends his life at my feet & he absolutely stinks! Poo CSI says doggies don't digest peas!

allaboutfrankie is offline Junior Member

our puppy frankie... is about to be 4 months and he would do the same thing anything on the ground he had to put in his mouth. so we asked the vet and they said, its just puppy curiosity and they will grow out of it.... frankie is about to be 4 months next week, and he stop putting random stuff in his mouth at about 3 months.... he still has a weakness for leaves though.