Help! What to do with 10 week old puppy while I'm away/hubby is at work?

Thread: Help! What to do with 10 week old puppy while I'm away/hubby is at work?

NorthernGal is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp! What to do with 10 week old puppy while I'm away/hubby is at work?

Hi all,

I posted a few months ago about our new addition - he officially joined the family a couple of weeks ago!

puppy.jpg

Anyway, I could use some advice about what to do with our little dude. Here's the scoop:

I work at home 95% of the time (I'm doing a PhD and some consulting on the side). So far this has worked out very well with housebreaking/training our new pup. He seems to be catching on. My fiance works about 35 minutes from home, and often has to travel around the area for work. This means that he leaves early (around 7:30AM) and does not come back until around 5:30-6PM most night.

Unfortunately, I am having to take a work-related trip out of town for 11 days (7 work days). While we would have no qualms leaving our older dog at home during my fiance's long work days, we are stumped as to what to do with our puppy. I called our kennel and they don't take puppies until after they are 4 months old.

We have tossed a few ideas around:

- We have a LARGE wire crate for puppy (currently we are using a divider so that the crate just fits puppy's bed). It will be large enough for him as an adult. One option would be to remove the divider and create a mini-pen, containing his bed, toys, small amount of water/food, and some training pads for a toilet area. This is really not ideal but for the 7 work days my husband won't be around I don't think it would be the end of the world. The benefit of this approach is that we could leave both dogs home together so although they wouldn't be able to play together (since puppy would be crated), they could "keep each other company" by being in the same room.

- Make a little "den" for puppy in our mudroom. This would include bed, toys, food/water, etc. Two downsides to this: (1) we are concerned puppy might chew on some of the furniture/finishings/trim. As we are currently (long-term) housesitting for some family friends, we don't want to cause any considerable damages. (2) The other drawback is that puppy might be lonely since our other dog probably wouldn't be staying in the mudroom with him (we could put her in there, too, though).

- Another option would be for my fiance to take puppy to work every day, leaving his crate in the car (he works in government so there's no way he could bring pup inside). He would go out at every break (mid-morning break, lunch time, afternoon break) to take puppy out for a pee, poop, and walk/play at lunchtime. Older dog stays home (or comes in the car as well - we don't think she would mind snoozing in there during the day).

What do you all think? Any other ideas? We've brainstormed as much as possible and these are the best options we could come up with given the situation.

Thanks so much.

~ NorthernGal

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Call your breeder and see if yours will board your pup.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Or hire someone to come over daily to let him out. Are you feeding 3 times a day?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's a possibility. She is 2 1/2 hours away though, and has a huge run of other puppies at the moment, so I could so some issues. But, well worth looking into. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Or hire someone to come over daily to let him out. Are you feeding 3 times a day?
    Yes, we are feeding 3 meals. We have someone who has offered to come over at least 3 times the week that I'm gone. I might be able to ask the neighbours to come by on the other days.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

definitely look into a dog walker (or friend or family member) to come let the puppy out and play with them. If you have a trip planned before the puppy is 5 months I would consider twice a day as they will still have a small bladder. by 6 months they should be ok with just one mid-day visit.

I would also make a point of leaving the house starting the first 2-3 days you get the puppy so he gets used to being alone. If you stay home all day every day for a few weeks when he arrives then suddenly he is crated alone for a big part of the day it will be too much of a shock and he won't have built up the ability to self soothe. Plan to leave the house to go run errands or just walk around teh block. Start with smaller increments (20 minutes, an hour) and build up to the time of your first trip.
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-17-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

K2-Kevin is offline Member

I would recommend hiring a dog walker (or Friend or family) for twice a day visits or at least once for a feeding and walk after, try to keep them with your current schedule you have been training. Keep your puppy in her crate when not home, never in an area she could do damage or hurt herself. Definitely not in your husbands car.