Spoiled pup?

Thread: Spoiled pup?

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

DefaultSpoiled pup?

I think we may have created a little bit of a monster... Our lab is about 5 and half months old and recently she has become very whiny. Sometimes she is whining for a legitimate reason (she has to poop) but often she is whining because we are not giving her attention. Sometimes I can't even figure out why she is whining. Could she just be bored? It happened yesterday in the car. We had taken her to this great park where she ran and played with lots of other dogs. When we got in the car to go home she was fine but about halfway through the 20 minute drive she started to whine. We have definitely spoiled her and we hate for her to be sad so honestly she usually gets her way. She gets lots of activity and tons of attention. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so how do we stop it???

Thanks!

Tilly

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie talks to us in a whiney type voice. We usually can figure out what she wants. We have learned that it sounds different for different needs. Potty, needing to go out sounds different from "I'm hungry". Some labs are more vocal than others. Sometimes Sophie will whine in the car, and when we stop, she immediatly hops out to potty. After playing at the park, your girl could have been thirsty, or needing to potty....who knows. My only advice would be to ignore her and she if she stops.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

What did she do once you stopped and let her out? If it was done quickly / in large quantity I would say that might be the what she wanted. But just a guess.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Labs can be very vocal. Whining does not equal sadness necessarily. Just ignore her.

One of mine whines in the car because he doesn't like riding in the car. Simple. Does not change the fact that I need him to be in the car at times and he needs to deal with it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

She was fine once we let her out of the car. It just seems like she is whining when she isn't getting her way. She did it the other night when we wouldn't let her on the bed. I am going to try to just ignore it for now. I am hoping she is just a vocal pup! I can't help spoiling her. I will probably regret it later but she is so sweet and full of love! The last thing I want is for her to be sad.

Tilly

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey is very vocal and will whine/cry for random reasons, sometimes because she is bored or frustrated. She will also whine and be VERY vocal if she has to go outside. That I don't ignore, but some dogs are just more vocal than others.. but figuring out if it's something she needs or if she's just whining has taken time.

rmcbuckeye is offline Senior Member

Dozer is a very vocal boy. He whines or barks at Mike constantly when he wants attention from him. So when Dozer does that, he ignores him most of the time, but not so much anymore because we now live on our own and Dozer resides with his mom so Mike gives him attention. He just likes to talk A LOT! Really loud. I think he's the loudest Lab I've met so far.
    “The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.”