Puppy broke out of crate help!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy broke out of crate help!

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy broke out of crate help!

My husband and I left our 4 month old lab mix in her crate for 3 hours while we were at dinner with family, came home and she broke through the front of her crate. We have had her for over 2 weeks now and she goes in her crate every night with no problem, sleeps all night with no crying, we even have to drag her out in the morning for her to go potty cause she holds it all night. This was her first time in the crate with us gone. She broke out of the front, pooped in the house in three spots and peed in two spots. We were gone for three hours and took her out before we left. Any advice or help anything. We can't keep her if she does this. We put the side back on the crate and added on industrial zip ties. I also want to add she has not had an accident in the house for 10 days.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

What did you mean when you said you put the side back on? Why was it off? Zip ties will get chewed. I have not seen anyone on this forum with crated dogs say they got out. Is it latched properly? Your dog probably pooped and peed in the house because it was upset. I would have began by leaving for short times at first instead of 3 hours all at once. You have only had her for 2 weeks and are ready to give up on her if she doesn't comply? You need to realize she is a baby. You left your 4 month old baby home after only having her 2 weeks. She isn't even used to her new home yet. You should have been working with her for separational anxiety. You can't expect her to understand what is happening. She had no way to know you were ever coming back. It is up to you to train her. She can't train herself. I hope you don't give up on her this easily.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

We have left her in her crate during the day when I would be cleaning or taking a shower (times I couldn't watch her) but we were still home. The crate is a folding metal crate large enough for her. She some how got the side with the door off. She messed with it so much the top corner came un hooked and she squeezed her way out. We re hooked it and the zip ties are on very tight no way for her to chew on them. They can with stand about 400 pounds of pressure before they will break. She is still trying to get out. We are worried she will hurt herself. Before we got the crate we had her in a room by herself at night. She tried so had to jump out the windows (which were closed) she made her claws bleed from scratching the walls which we had to repaint. We just bought our house and we are afraid of what she would do if we let her Rome if we weren't home. Plus we have three cats that she still tries to chase. My husband is not really the emotional type, all he sees is a dog ruining our brand new home so he is really stressed about this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The first thing I would do is buy a better crate. Get one that doesn't fold up. The puppy could get really injured trying to squeeze out of it. Her crate should only be large enough for her to stand up and turn around. If it is too large it can be a problem. You need to make her crate her own personal little nirvana. Give her high quality treats she doesn't get any other time. Start by leaving her for brief periods. Totally leave to where she won't smell you. Give her a Kong stuffed with goodies, peanut butter or the like. Give her tough chew toys. Leave music or a TV going. Work gradually. 2 weeks with you is a very short time. It takes longer for a puppy to get used to new surroundings. We never left our Sophie. alone till she was older. Many lab owners do, but we had a Sophie-sitter come stay with her when we had to be gone. We had so many of our boys' friends lining up to be with her that we never had a problem. The first time we actually left her by herself was for about 30 minutes when she was almost a year old. By then she was starting to be trustworthy. When we came home she was happy to see us and nothing had been disturbed. Now, we can leave her loose in the house for several hours and have had no problems. We have found she is more apt to act out and get into trouble with an audience. A puppy sitter might be a choice for you. The main thing she needs in puppy kindergarten or an obedience trainer. Puppies are lots of work. With a new home at risk, you have to be very diligent pet owners. Try to be patient and I hope you don't give up on her. Sophie destroyed many things as she was growing up, even with us watching her closely! Sneaky little girl! I have learned that they are just "stuff" they can be replaced, Sophie can't. She is our baby girl. I hope it works out for you, but please seek obedience training for both you and her.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 10-14-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

I don't think three hours out is an ureasonable amount of time to leave a 4 month old puppy crated while you go out. However, you do need to make sure the puppy is tired and ready for a nice nap before you do so. My puppy is 12 weeks old. He has been crated while we are out since we got him home. However, our days of going out with friends on a work night are over for the time being because when I get home from work, he is ready to rock and roll and it would be totally unfair to crate him then. I am sure he would object vigorously.

He gets a nice frozen stuffed kong when he goes in his crate.

I have been playing crate games with him. He has learned not to leave his crate without a release from me. I open the door and he stays until I say "okay". Leashes, crates, baby gates are good helpers with our dogs. They provide back up security. They don't replace training your dog what is expected of him.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

You may find a crate on Craigslist but also beware it too maybe less than secure.

Good luck and keep working with your pup. It will work out.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newpuppyownersami View Post
    My husband and I left our 4 month old lab mix in her crate for 3 hours while we were at dinner with family, came home and she broke through the front of her crate. We have had her for over 2 weeks now and she goes in her crate every night with no problem, sleeps all night with no crying, we even have to drag her out in the morning for her to go potty cause she holds it all night. This was her first time in the crate with us gone. She broke out of the front, pooped in the house in three spots and peed in two spots. We were gone for three hours and took her out before we left. Any advice or help anything. We can't keep her if she does this. We put the side back on the crate and added on industrial zip ties. I also want to add she has not had an accident in the house for 10 days.
    so your PUPPY has an accident and you go straight ot "can't keep her"?? Why not? you said yourself this was the first time in two weeks she was left alone so many she was confused as well.

If the crate was intact, is it not possible someone didn't latch the crate properly and she was just able to push the door open? IN which case, the solution is pretty easy and it was human error not the puppy's fault.

Agree wtih teh above about making the crate a fun place wiht crate games, and practice leaving for short periods (20 minutes) so the puppy gets used to you guys leaving her alone.

there are also many things you can do to help sooth the dog while you are gone. first the kong, then some music (radio, tv).
    Last edited by Tanya; 10-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Having a puppy takes devotion to the task. A pup is a lot of work but well worth it in the end. I see so many pups in the paper or on the various web sites needing a new home. It is so sad. Jack would never have been able to get out of the crate that we have. I have seen cheap ones. They are however not cheap if the pup gets out and eats the leather couch. First I think that you really need to access the quality of that crate. Spend some time and get it right and this pup will reward you endlessly.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had a rescue puppy who at 4 months did exactly what yours did the first time we crated her and left her alone for a few hours. Came home to the crate completely intact and the puppy outside of the crate and explosive diarhhea everywhere. Not a pleasant event. We figured out that she lifted it off the base. She was not crated again afterwards and did just fine without one.

But given the other things you have said about this puppy being destructive when you were out then you really need to crate her while you are gone. I agree that you need to do the things listed above to make the crate a happy place. A frozen Kong will give her something to do while she is in there (and I would ONLY give her the Kong when she is crated) You may also want to try Rescue Remedy drops as it sounds like she is panicking when she is confined alone in the house.

The crates I have are ALL folding wire crates and they are not cheap.

And if you can't commit to dealing with her please contact a rescue - don't go to a kill shelter.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Great. Another "We can't keep her if she does this" dog owner. If every person on JL that has gone through the same kind of frustrations you are going through said this & meant this the shelters would be stacked ceiling high with unwanted puppies. I don't know if you have any (human) kids, but children just as puppies do things that are frustrating as they grow and learn. They draw on walls, spill milk on carpets, vomit on your expensive clothes, etc etc. Funny how tolerance for human children is stronger than it is for fur babies in some people. Your puppy is a baby, you have been given great advice so do your part in guiding her to how you want her to behave. If "We can't keep her if she does this" was simply said out of frustration and you truly don't mean it, realize where you are - a forum with dog lovers, a forum filled with people who have dealt with the same frustrations you have but didn't say such things even in their weakest moments, a forum with people who work in shelters and see the results of people that give up on their puppies instead of working with them. If there is any truth behind what you said, that you won't keep her if she doesn't meet your expectations, then please start looking to rehome her before you make the problem worse. She deserves better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast