Molly is bad at night...need help

Thread: Molly is bad at night...need help

Spiderjohn is offline Member

DefaultMolly is bad at night...need help

Molly my 10 month old lab mix has developed some bad habits and I need help. She has been sleeping in my bed since I got her 2 months ago. We havent had any problems with her at all...until this week. I woke up Tuesday morning at 3am and heard her in the kitchen. She had gotten a box of kashi cereal off of the counter and chewed it open eating the cereal. There wasnt much left but she downed it. She also got a wooden spatula and chewed it to bits. She tried to get the cat food but couldn't reach it.

So I have kept her in the crate at night since then but she wakes me up at 4am whining so I got a gate to keep her in my room. I woke up early this morning and she had chewed up some socks and the sheets on my bed. I also have had to watch her closely because she is looking for things to chew so I direct her to her antlers/nylabone/toys.

Today she had diarrhea on our morning walk so I have given her some pumpkin. The only thing that has changed is about a week and half ago I rotated her food to TOTw high prairie from high sierra. I am wondering if she is hungry because the feeding instructions call for less. I know TOTW has had issues in the past but she is thriving on it. Or is this behavior something different? We walk about 2 miles twice a day and play ball, etc for an hour in the afternoon.

Any advice on how to stop her night maurading?keeping her in the crate is an option but again she gets so whiney.

A dognostic nose there is a Dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

crate. stop giving in when she whines. if you can crate in your bedroom all the better. This is why it's best to start off wtih the crate to set that as the baseline. She got used to being in the bed so it is going to take a few nights of dealing with her whining (i.e. ignoring it) so she gets the message that no amount of whining nor barking will help so she may as well stop it and sleep.

also, make sure she gets plenty of exercise (at that age, probably close to an hour or more of off leash running and playing) and plenty of mental exercise/training. Make sure she has appropriate chew toys as well. And...pick things up off the ground so she can't find things to chew
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd crate her. I don't think this has anything to do with hunger - it's teenaged bad behavior. Pretty typical. You need to crate her because she can (and probably will) chew up something that could hurt her. If you let her out when she whines you are reinforcing that whining is the solution to being put in the crate. If her needs have been met (and if you typically did not need to let her out to pee at 4 am, I would assume it was just being done to be let out of the crate) then you need to IGNORE her. She will stop - you may have some early wake up times while she is learning that you mean business - but she will eventually give it up.

One of mine at that age decided to eat a pile of money - including a 50 - I had on my dining room table when I was out of the house. He had "earned" his freedom prior to that point but was back in the crate when unsupervised for another year after that episode.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

I agree, keep using the crate. It is hard to listen to the crying but it stops after a few nights.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It is sort of an adolescent period when they act up. The behavior you described is counter surfing and labs are really good at it! I kept everything out of Sophie's reach when she was going through that phase, and she'd still snag a loaf of bread from time to time.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Spiderjohn is offline Member

Thanks for all the advice. Kept her crated Saturday and Sunday. She started whining in the wee hours and I told her "quiet!" and she settled down. I really appreciate your help. I need just as much training as Molly!

A dognostic nose there is a Dog.