Is this just a Lab thing - GOOD GIRL!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this just a Lab thing - GOOD GIRL!

K2-Kevin is offline Member

DefaultIs this just a Lab thing - GOOD GIRL!

Our "little" 11 week old girl is just being so good (Except for the biting) Im wondering if this is normal for a Lab puppy. We have had puppies in the past, but none have ever responded to training this well. It's almost like this little girl knows she has a great thing going and better not screw it up. LOL I know Labs want to please... but come on now.

She rings a bell to go outside when she has to pee/plop. She is now going to her crate when she's tired, sits near her bowl when she's hungry (Photo below). When going outside, waits at open door for use to walk out first. When outside she comes when called. She's fetches and drops ball/toy at our feet, and more. We do still have issues with her biting/nipping, but im sure that will end soon enough.

We are all in shock how amazing she is. This is our first Lab, should we be surprised? We do work on training, but training has been fairly casual.
    Last edited by K2-Kevin; 10-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

totiegirl is offline Senior Member

haha yes it's a Lab thing....that's why I ADORE them!! My gorgeous girl Totem was exactly like your little girl, even up to her old age when I opened a door she would sit politely and let me walk through first....such a polite and gentle girl! But the early training does make a huge difference I missed out with my 2nd Labby and she's still learning at 6. Our new little girl Lilee is only 8wks, but she's responding really well to commands. I've got high hopes for this little girl so Im training her already...enjoy your girl!!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Um? They do want to please, and as they get rewarded for good things, they pick up really quickly. You said she is 11 weeks. Enjoy it!

Somewhere around 9 months, the teenage rebellion will set in. She will become deaf to your voice, but not to any noise coming from where her food or treats are kept. When she discovers squirrels or deer, recall may become something you dreamt about but now becomes a nightmare.

Would you like more?<g>
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

You are so lucky! Especially since your baby already has potty training! Labs are great dogs and they do learn fast! We have only had ours for about 3 weeks and she had no training before (she is 4 months old) but she is also very responsive (apart from our issue tonight which I did post about) but she has sit, down, no, crawl (she already knew how we just gave it a word lol), walking on a leash, and is still working out the kinks of stay and come. Just keep working at it so when she hits 9 months she will still know you're pack master!

stubyng is offline Junior Member

I do believe it is a Lab thing!

Ben seemed to pick up things so easily even though I was also quite casual with training. Potty training was done within a couple of weeks. They just seem to have so much desire to please, one of the many reasons why I just love the breed.
    Take a look at my dog training blog at Dog Training HQ

I spoke to soon

For the last week or so, she has been biting even more and now growling at me/us when we grab her to get her under control. Normally during her wild running spurts when we try to pull her away from chewing the sofa or other furniture. She lashes out and tries to bite. Im sure its just a phase, but part of me wants to smack the crap out of her (We dont and havent ever hit her).

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

My Puppy did the same thing between 10 -13 weeks, he is 18 weeks old now. Somethings I found helpful from members of this community is exercise, a tired/sleeping dog won't nip and bite. Sometimes when it was going to happen anyway and he started getting out of control is a no bite command and if that didnt work at that time (sometimes it did sometimes it didnt) I just put him in his crate with a toy to chew on for a few minutes. Not as a punishment, just a little time out. He would much rather hang out with me, than in his crate so he got the hint pretty quick. There was a time I thought he would be doing it forever and then all of a sudden it stopped. He still trys to mouth every so often but no a No bite command works. and his emerging adult teeth aren't as bad as the puppy razors. Good luck! It will get better.

Thanks for the encouragement... It goes a long way! She does get a "good" amount of exercise daily, we normally take her out to run around the yard (Off leash), chase/fetch and working on recall. We have also started taking her on longer walks.

If being a Lab Puppy owner is easy, you are doing it wrong.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by K2-Kevin View Post

If being a Lab Puppy owner is easy, you are doing it wrong.
    Well- there are easy Lab puppies! My younger Lab was never a problem, never mouthy, never rebellious -very easy trainer.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

I had problems with the exercise, I was scared to over exercise. As he gets older we walk more in the woods and he runs and plays with other dogs. We do lots of training to, both in puppy school and at home every day for about 10 minutes. . These boards have a lot of useful information. The one I actually printed and read all the time, was in the Sticky (at the top of this board) and it is titled "I am your puppy" I read it over and over again sometimes in tears. I never thought the biting would end, then it was like all of a sudden a light switch turned on in his brain. I have a very mellow laidback puppy (for now), however there were a few weeks there I didn't think I was going to make it. Hang in there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast