Am I Missing Anything?

Thread: Am I Missing Anything?

Nexxana is offline Junior Member

DefaultFew Questions

So i get my 8 week old Black Lab on Friday and i just have a few questions to make sure im as ready as i can be.

Should you start brushing their teeth from an early age? or is it just when there adult teeth come through? I have heard bones are enough as well to clean there teeth and you dont actually have to brush them then.

I have read so many different topics about washing your dog and not washing your dog how often do you guys bath your dogs?

I am going to be clicker training my pup and i think im going to use one of his meals to do it instead of giving him 3xmeals + treats, don't want to give him too much food, Do you think that is ok to do? Most likely his first meal of the day.

I think thats all the questions i have at the moment but im sure something else will pop up.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
    Last edited by Nexxana; 10-08-2012 at 07:59 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxana View Post
    So i get my 8 week old Black Lab on Friday and i just have a few questions to make sure im as ready as i can be.

Should you start brushing their teeth from an early age? or is it just when there adult teeth come through? I have heard bones are enough as well to clean there teeth and you dont actually have to brush them then. If you are going to brush (or wipe with a gauze pad) you should start as soon as he comes home to get him used to it.

I have read so many different topics about washing your dog and not washing your dog how often do you guys bath your dogs? Prior to this summer when I had flea problems with mine - they had not had a bath in a few years. Frequent bathing will lead to skin issues for most Labs. It's just not necessary.

I am going to be clicker training my pup and i think im going to use one of his meals to do it instead of giving him 3xmeals + treats, don't want to give him too much food, Do you think that is ok to do? Most likely his first meal of the day. I would not give a whole meal for training treats initially - they are growing really fast and he needs that food consistently to fuel that growth. And - training short be done in short bits a few minutes at a time - you can't use a whole meal's worth of kibble for training treats with a baby. I would not worry so much about the few extra calories you are giving while the puppy is a baby. When he is older, then reducing the meals by the amount of kibble you are feeding for treats makes more sense. I think thats all the questions i have at the moment but im sure something else will pop up.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
    Hope that helps.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Nexxana is offline Junior Member

Thanks for such a quick reply and yes that helps alot!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I ise knuckle bones to clean my dog's teeth, and they are pearly white, whether 11 months or 13 years old.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 10-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

totiegirl is offline Senior Member

Labby's are very clever little things, my Lilee is just 8wks and already she's learnt to come, sit and put her paw up on my hand...of course she's rewarded with extra kibbles : ) I never cleaned my other labs teeth but I too gave them knuckle bones. Totem's teeth were quite yellow but as you know she was nearly 17...Cade's are still are nice white with a little yellow around a few. Im not bothered as I know they're healthy Labs overall.

I can't wait to see a photo of your new pup...he'll look so different to Lilee as she's a yellow Lab.

Friday will come around super fast Adam!