Paper obsession!!

Thread: Paper obsession!!

Bea
    Bea is offline Junior Member

DefaultPaper obsession!!

Hi all,

My Bella is 2.5 years old and I really thought she would have grown out of this paper obsession by now! She is spayed and her food was changed because she had allergies, the paper obsession has gotten a little bit better to since switching foods. When their is paper around Bella will pick it up and eat it, she just doesn't shred it but consumes it, when she eats it she acts like she is starving! She gets fed twice a day; when she's in the house it seems she is sniffing to find paper...it gets frustrating, sometimes she will drop it when we tell her to, she knows what the word "drop it" means, she just chooses not to do it! lol I will take the paper out of her mouth when she has it in their if I can catch her in time, because she will run from me like it's a game. She has had some training, she's prong trained when walking.
    If anyone has any training tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

Cassie eats paper too sometimes. But it's not an obsession for her. This morning she was counter surfing on the kitchens table and she got a business card. When I realised it and tried to get it out of her mouth she closed her mouth. Then I told her it's food time and she dropped it. But the card was already half. Didn't find the other half.

If she has something in her mouth and she doesn't drop it when I tell her to I say "food time" and she drops anything. And then I take it. But I always giver a couple of kibble after that.
    Last edited by mistarkos; 10-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Gotta say I have never heard of a paper eating obsession before, lol.

You need to be very consistent when training dogs. Use "drop it" every time, and if you need to bribe with a treat. I don't always have treats on hand, but Diesel knows when I do they are always in my right pants pocket. If he's doing something that I need his attention and he's not listening I just put my hand near my hip and he is at full attention.

Do you use "leave it" at all? Leave it would prevent her from touching it, if you can catch her about to do it. Don't chase her, as you said she thinks it's a game. Redirect with a high value treat or favourite toy while using "drop it."

Dog proof your house more meticulously. Think of paper as a book of matches and your dog as a toddler. The paper obsession could eventually turn into a different object eating obsession that could be more harmful, so even though it is "just paper" you need to nip this in the bud.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Make sure that no paper is left around for her to devour until she is over her obsession ?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Cassie eats paper too sometimes. But it's not an obsession for her. This morning she was counter surfing on the kitchens table and she got a business card. When I realised it and tried to get it out of her mouth she closed her mouth. Then I told her it's food time and she dropped it. But the card was already half. Didn't find the other half.

If she has something in her mouth and she doesn't drop it when I tell her to I say "food time" and she drops anything. And then I take it. But I always giver a couple of kibble after that.
    Love the new pics of Cassie!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I guess we are just lucky. Sophie loves to shred paper, but doesn't eat it. She will also de-stuff a stuffy and throw the stuffing around, but doesn't eat it either. Have you tried keeping all paper out of her reach? I know its a hassle, but I would just try not to leave any down.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Bea
    Bea is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for the suggestions!