Where To Shop?

Thread: Where To Shop?

NYJoe is offline Member

DefaultWhere To Shop?

So my puppy arrives in 5 weeks. I went to a PETCO and was overwhelmed with info LOL. (Had not been in a pet store in years). Does anyone have any recommendations on where to shop? For example should I go to local pet stores or shop online for things like a crate? Does anyone have any advice? I want my puppy to arrive and I want to have everything on hand and ready to go. Crates/toys/bowls/ you name it. Again, first puppy in 15 years and I have my tail between my legs now worried about getting ready.

Thanks,

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

Congrats! I went from having dogs as a kid / teen to no dog after college years. Now at 40 with young kids I rescued a 14 week pup. I think I had a mid life crisis best thing I ever did.

With 5 weeks to go I would read and read more. Watch Craigslist, eBay, yard sales for crates and dog stuff. You may want a crate to keep in the car if your car is large enough - a plastic one would-be ideal for cars.

Your username makes me think you are in NY. If close to New Jersey check out the pet restraint laws, I hear NJ is pretty tough.

Talk to neighbors for referrals on vets, places to walk the dog off leash. You will want to know where a 24 hour animal hospital is. If you know where it is you won't need it!

Good luck and enjoy the new family member.
    Last edited by KenZ71; 10-04-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats! are the pups about 3 weeks now?

I try to shop at local stores or smaller chains. ask around or google for pet stores in your area.

Make a list before you go. and be specific, not just "toys" but specifically what toy (or a few options to stick to). We can help with that, there may in fact already be a list on teh board somwhere.

I highly recommend these two books. They are free and from a very good source (Ian Dunbar). I would also recommend reading some other books if you have the chance.

Free Downloads | Dog Star Daily

Start searching for puppy classes in your area (safe place to socialize your dog and help you with training) and a reputable vet now.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

It depends on what I'm buying. A lot of my pet shopping is done at a local pet supply store, Cherrybrook or Pet Value. I have, however, bought stuff online, too. A heads up on crates- shipping costs for crates can be rather expensive. You're probably better off buying that in person. I haven't set foot in a PetCo since I found out they supported California's mandatory spay/neuter law a few years ago. So did PetSmart. BTW- PETA and HSUS were supporters of that law, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    ... Your username makes me think you are in NY. If close to New Jersey check out the pet restraint laws, I hear NJ is pretty tough...
    Not true- yet. There is talk of a new law going into effect that says dogs and cats must be restrained in vehicles. All that means is they must be in a seatbelt or crate. Right now the law just says animals can't be transported in a cruel manner.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I like PetPeople. I have been to 2 different ones and the owners and workers are VERY knowledgeable about what they are selling. They are pleased to give plenty of samples to see if your dog likes a certain food before you spend money on a bag of it. It's my new favorite store.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

We have a local chain we generally use. I prefer to shop locally with small businesses and really hate heading out to the highway to shop. The exceptions being collars which I often buy online (again small businesses). Much more choice online.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

NYJoe is offline Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. Yes my puppy is now 4 weeks old and I will be getting him at 8.5 weeks. He is already a big boy at 7 pounds and growing fast. The breeder sends updated pictures almost daily. I have brought several KONG toys already on Amazon (I get free shipping). I got all kinds and read the reviews as to which ones were crate safe and which ones are not. Everyone is wonderful with their advice and experience which is so helpful. I am working on finding the right vet. It's hard because I am moving 40 min east of where I am now (Long Island) and know no one in that area so so far I am basing it on online reviews, the BBB rating, etc. Somehow I will ask around and see if someone can give me some more insight. I will also stop by 3 of them in person to check them out as I want to take my puppy straight there when he flies in to get checked out and given any additional shots needed at that time. Thanks again all for the responses.

Joe

K2-Kevin is offline Member

Sounds like you will be very prepared, or at least very close!

One suggestion, if you do purchase a crate "second-hand", be sure to clean it with pinesol or any other good cleaning to disinfect it.
    Last edited by K2-Kevin; 10-09-2012 at 01:55 PM.