Puppy crys when cats won't play

Thread: Puppy crys when cats won't play

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy crys when cats won't play

Hello, my 4 month old girl Hera wants to play with our 3 cats. It's really funny to watch, she starts bouncing around putting her butt in the air. The cats want nothing to do with her, they all just walk away. Our kitten (not very small but still a kitten) follows her around and watches her but won't play with her. He even ran into the cat jungle gym to get away and she tried to go in too (so funny to watch). When they don't play she starts to cry a lot. I don't want her to feel left out and sad is there anything I can do to help them?
    I also thought I would say my husband and I really think she is a cat in disguise because she hates tennis balls, water (she will run as far away as possible when the house is on and walk around the water on the ground), and going outside (unless it means playing it the grass) she would rather sleep ALL day, chase laser pointers, play with feather toys and sleep some more!
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh and she also doesn't bark. When we take her out back there is a dog on the other side of the fence that barks a lot, she will just look that direction and stare then walk away!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would not let a young puppy play with your cats, she could really hurt them without meaning to. Both of my dogs whine when my cats are running, playing, etc. As for not barking, be thankful! There is nothing worse than a dog that barks at everything. Maxx rarely barks, Emma barks more often but not enough to be annoying.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lol they won't let her play with them. She won't touch them she just bounces in front of them wanting them to play but they walk away and she cries. Makes me sad she is sad.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Careful not to anthropomorphize. It may seem like fun and games now, but remember your dog is a puppy, teach her proper manners now & you won't have issues later. Cats play differently than dogs, as Tammy said it may escalate to injury - she can't catch them now, but if she does you may regret it. As well, do you want your Lab pup who likely already has a pretty sturdy prey drive to act like a maniac whenever she sees a cat? Think of stray cats and other outdoor wildlife like squirrels and rabbits that she may want to "play with", consider recall, consider viruses of outdoor animals, etc etc.

Instead of getting sad she is ignored by the cats, why don't you play with her? Redirect her attention to avoid issues like the ones I suggest.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newpuppyownersami View Post
    Lol they won't let her play with them. She won't touch them she just bounces in front of them wanting them to play but they walk away and she cries. Makes me sad she is sad.
    Your puppy whining is not about sadness - she is just frustrated. IMO - you should play with her instead of the cats.

"Sad" is not an emotion you really see in dogs much. Serious illness might cause a dog to act "sad" or the loss of a person or animal companion that they are close to/dependant on - otherwise not so much.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

brody is offline Senior Member

^^

i agree, she's frustrated ... and people are much better playmates anyhow as that starts relationship building which is really why one has dogs I think!!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I try to play with her, even get down to her level and all she does in lay in my lap.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newpuppyownersami View Post
    I try to play with her, even get down to her level and all she does in lay in my lap.
    Since you adopted her as an older puppy and she may not really understand how to play yet - this is a skill she will have to learn. If you have a friend with a well mannered adult dog who is current on vax it might be good to have her over. If the puppy watches you playing with the adult dog this will be a quicker way for her to "get it".
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.