Timing to bring home the little guy...

Thread: Timing to bring home the little guy...

mylablucy is offline Member

DefaultTiming to bring home the little guy...

90% sure I'll bring home my new puppy this weekend. I could also wait for the next litter but I'm concerned about it being too close to Thanksgiving. So... if I were to bring him home this weekend, should I try to do it Friday so that I have the entire weekend with him before going back to work? I will still have to attend a dinner out and a wedding out on Fri/Sat nights. Or, do I get him Sunday when I won't have any evening commitments for the next several weeks but would have to go back to the office within a couple of days? I'm thinking more days over the weekend would be best BUT am concerned about being out for mutlple hours Fri and Sat nights... can't get out of either commitment unfortunately.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nexxana is offline Junior Member

Even though i havent got my little bundle of joy yet (2 weeks to go!) I'd say get him on Friday.

Are you crating him? or do you have an enclosed area for him so he is kept safe?
    Do you have plenty of durable toys for him to keep himself amused? I wouldnt leave anything that isnt durable enough for him like plush toys. Wouldn't take the chance in him ripping it to shreds and possibly choking.

I think you'll be fine for the night time commitments because pups do tend to sleep alot at the 8 week old mark a ticking clock under a towel with the moms scent on it works really well in keeping pups calm by themselves also keeping a radio on so there is noise around.

I other thing is where is he going to go to the toilet? Puppies don't have a very long lasting bladder so need to make sure they have somewhere to go other than where they are sleeping. Can you possibly arrange for someone to come over and look after the pup while you are gone? even if its for an hour inbetween while your out.

Bah i think im just ranting now and talking it over to myself cause i too wonder about these things.

I think i have a pretty good set up at home. I converted my walk in wardrobe into a puppy heaven. He has a nice space with his crate in the corner water bowl and plenty of toys. has a toilet training pad away from his bed and bought some droplets that you put on the pads to make the pupply want to do its business there. I have set up a webcam as well so i can keep an eye on him while im at work and have also arranged with my boss to take a longer lunch break so i can go home instead of eating at work. My neighbours also would like to help out and play with him during the day while he is young.

So yea, would love to hear from others as well cause im keen to see what you think about leaving a pup so young by himself for 3-4 hoursand if you did it what did you plan out?

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I picked up Mo on a Friday so that I had the entire weekend with him. Even if you have a dinner and a wedding to go to, you could always wear out the pup and then go out for a few hours while he catches up on sleep. My husband and I also hired a petsitter to come over once a day to feed, play with, and let Mo out. It works out wonderfully because he is only crated for 3-4 hours before being let out. Best of luck with your new pup.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

K2-Kevin is offline Member

The more time you can spend with the puppy the better. Fridays are always good days to bring home a puppy no matter what you have going on. Good luck and enjoy!

mylablucy is offline Member

Great, thank you! Your responses confirmed that I'm thinking along the right lines. I will be crate training, and will have an enclosed area set up that if I need to be gone for longer - I can use the crate, puppy pads, etc. The only shelves in the area aren't expensive and I'm planning to remove all books from the lower shelves. I was thinking that I would just put them up higher, but maybe I should remove them from the book cases altogether?!

I plan to get a couple of Kongs and other durable toys to play with while I'm gone. My boyfriend says he'll be able to check in once or twice during the day while I'm at work. I also had a dog walker to help out with Lucy when she got real sick at the end. I'm willing to do that if needed but the costs add up quickly so hopefully it won't be too frequent. And, ideally I'll be able to work from home mid week so that I can have that extra time with the little guy.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I was lucky enough to take Maxx to work with me until he was 6 mos old. Since then if everyone will be gone for more than 4 hours I have a tech from my vets office come over to spend her lunch hour with my 2. Lauren takes them out, plays some fetch and eats her lunch at my house and it works out very well. If your boyfriend, a pet walker and neighbors can work out a schedule to make sure the puppy gets out often enough all should be well. I am not a fan of puppy pads but I understand if you have no options. Good luck with your new baby, they are soooooo much fun!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.