Doggy Daycare Concerns

Thread: Doggy Daycare Concerns

mlfawcett is offline Junior Member

DefaultDoggy Daycare Concerns

Hi
    I have a 6 month old chocolate Labrador retriever named Lily. I am a new dog owner and have been working with her alot and have completed puppy socialization class and now in level 02 training class. She is doing well however I have noticed she has become more and more timid around other dogs. I work full time and thought it would be a good idea to enroll her in daycare twice a week. I thought it was a good way for her to get exercise and socialization. After a few days I was told by the staff that Lily seemed very stressed out and timid. She was okay for a few hours and then she got really stressed out. She recently got spayed and I am really concerned to take her back to daycare. My trainer thinks its not a good idea because she is getting stressed out and timid. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? I am looking for a smaller daycare and haven't had any luck. Lily has been around lots of family dogs and enjoys playing with a small group. If I don't return to dog daycare any suggestions for daytime care for my dog?

Any tips are much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

maybe just have a dog walker come by and walk her?

if she isn't having a good time at daycare I wouldn't keep sending her. Are they doing anything to help her when she becomes unsettled? have they tried to see if something is setting her off, a specific dog, or event or sound or something?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Doggie day care is a great thing, but it is not for every dog. That being said, typically it does not work out because it is an aggressive dog, which this is not that kind of situation. The day care facility should be able to match the dog's personality to others in the play group. If they are not able to do that, I would look for another day care facility. A young shy dog should perhaps be put in with some oldsters or other benign dogs that would essentially ignore your pup until she gains the confidence to play in a rowdier group.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The staff said they would take her out of the yard and place her in a kennel for a few hours. They didn't mention anything about things possibly setting her off. I did realize after though she is super submissive when dogs approach her. I hope I didn't do any harm to her confidence already.... I walk her twice a day already but I just feel bad leaving her alone all day.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Are they giving her a break/nap midway through the day? That might give her the break she needs. Otherwise, as Belle's mom suggested, maybe a different play group would work better for her?

That's a good idea. Maybe I will ask the staff to bring her in a let her nap in her kennel every two hours and see how that goes. Maybe it's just to much socialization for her in one day.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not all dogs enjoy the company of other dogs. I second the dog walker suggestion. She's probably sleeping most if the day at home anyway.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

Max goes to a daycare 3 days a week. He gets very excited as we walk in so I assume that means he has fun.

The downside with this facility is they have one large room for all the dogs to play in. No splitting up.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Yah that's how this place runs too. It's one large facility with about fifty dogs and they dont split up dogs It's a huge facility! Lily seems super excited when we get there too. This place has a live video camera and when I watch her she doesn't really do to much and has her tail under her legs. I think daycare is an awesome idea I just wished she enjoyed it more. I don't want to cause her anxiety though. I don't know what to do. 😔 I think a dog walker is great but I also want to socialize her. She is such a sweet dog!

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    Max goes to a daycare 3 days a week. He gets very excited as we walk in so I assume that means he has fun.

The downside with this facility is they have one large room for all the dogs to play in. No splitting up.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I work part time at my trainer's daycare and we have different areas for different levels of excitement. We even have an area for more aggressive dogs so that they aren't confined to a crate and get to be around dogs without being with the dogs. The dogs that need a break go into crates for a bit to decompress and relax. I prefer to send my dogs to a daycare that has separate play areas, since not all dogs are crazy play hounds.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)