Adopted puppy with a past

Thread: Adopted puppy with a past

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdopted puppy with a past

Hello, my husband and I just adopted a 4 month old female black lab from animal control 5 days ago. She obviously was mistreated before; she walks with her head down most of the time, she is only 23 pounds vet says she should be at least 30, she seems to be afraid of being left outside (she begins crying and wants to run inside right away), she is afraid of water (weird for a lab), she is afraid of the ball (won't fetch), and she had no training or structure. We want her to be happy and not afraid. We also live in the high desert so we want to buy her a little pool to play in but she is afraid of water, when we wash her paws she tries to run away. I need any advice on how to help her over come these fears.
    She is a good dog, does not bark (only heard her bark 3 times, all at the cats), doesn't chew on anything, very lazy (sleeps all day), and she doesn't attack the cats but she is stubbornd. We are teaching her sit, stay, down, no, and come. She knows them but she only listens when she wants to. She will be laying down and we say come but she just sits there staring. Need help getting her to listen all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

congrats on the new addition.

You JUST got the baby, you need to train her before she can "listen to you all the time". she has no idea what you want from her now. Go slow. Train her, praise her when she does well, don't give a command you haven't fully trained yet (unless you are in a training session). She is also very much a puppy.

Take things slow. at 4 months other labs may not like the water if they haven't gone in yet, that isn't at all unusual. If you have friends with dogs that like water set up a play date once she is settled in and they can show her that water is fun. (maybe start with one other dog at a time).

Keep your expectations reasonable. Again, you have a BABY and a new to you dog, things are going to take time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It takes 6 weeks for a dog to become acclimated to a new home/family. Be patient. She may not have been mistreated, she may just be very poorly socialized. Take it slow. I adopted a puppy once at 4 months who did not know how to play, who was not accustomed to being touched, who had not been exposed to the smells and sounds of a normal household. It took her time to learn and accept/enjoy all those things, but she did eventually.

Don't force anything, but keep your normal routine and include her. Learning the structure of the household and the rules will be very helpful for her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    She may not have been mistreated, she may just be very poorly socialized. Take it slow.
    This is what I would suspect as well.

Give her time to settle in. Even an adult dog being rehomed needs more than a few days to settle in. She don't challenger her with EVERYTHING all at once, slowly bring her around to play and other stuff. Having other dogs show her (go slow with the intro, start with a dog or two) can help as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

She is actually doing better today. She still hate water, I tried just spray the ground a little and my own feet and she actually ran to the other side of the house which she never does. I turned it off, walked over to her and she followed me back but walked around the water like it was lava.... Going to take a while I know. She can't get completely wet till this weekend (she was spayed last week) so we will be buying a little kiddie pool at that time.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

One of my Labs refuses to go out in the rain - or if it has rained - or if it looks like rain. They don't all love water.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Lol well we live in the high desert so it won't rain much if she ends up like that lol. My dads dogs would rather be fish they love water so much so I found it strange to see how much she hates water.