Puppy Not Licking Herself Clean????

Thread: Puppy Not Licking Herself Clean????

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultPuppy Not Licking Herself Clean????

Hi. Molly is 4 months and happy, healthy, sleeping and eating well. At her last check up the vet mentioned that her little pee hole is an "innie" not an "outie" like most are. It does stick out a bit but the vet said it's sort of in more than it should be. She said this was not a problem at this point as Molly did not have any discharge or redness there and was peeing normally etc. But she said that moisture sometimes stays below the surface longer than it should and we need to keep an eye on this. Surgery in the future is a possibility and that this is not a big deal - not uncommon and easily fixed if necessary.

So far so good. But she also noted that Molly had a bit of dried urine on her hair in that area - I had not noticed it!!! Now that we are watching this, I notice that Molly does NOT lick herself clean after she pees.

I have begun to clean her up with a wet warm wash cloth and when I gently wash her off she will lick a bit but she loses interest... (edit - I wait until and of day, don't clean her up every time)

So question: has anyone had a dog who does not clean up? Do dogs learn this?
    Last edited by Barbara1; 09-29-2012 at 08:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Dogs tend to lick when itchy or have a wound, not sure they are self cleaning in the way that cats are. I have never seen Diesel "groom" himself.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Our older girl Abby had an "innie". She had one UTI. We wiped her with an unscented baby wipe. Our vet said the vulva may come out more after her first heat. It did correct itself after her first heat and we had her spayed. She never had another UTI.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep use baby wipes and try to do it every time she pees. DO NOT SPAY THIS FEMALE UNTIL AFTER HER FIRST HEAT!! It is very important to let that vulva pop out with the first season so she doesn't end up with infections for the rest of her life.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Yep use baby wipes and try to do it every time she pees. DO NOT SPAY THIS FEMALE UNTIL AFTER HER FIRST HEAT!! It is very important to let that vulva pop out with the first season so she doesn't end up with infections for the rest of her life.
    Your vet should have told you this bit. If you let her fully develop before she is spayed this should fix itself. Surgery shoud not be necessary.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.