Help :(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help :(

michelle.p is offline Junior Member

UnhappyHelp :(

Ok I know I posted a few weeks back about my new pup who I got at 8 weeks old (which I've since learned is bad for them to leave the mother that soon but I didnt know this at the time)... hes so hyper.. all the time! were crate training... and he goes straight outside after to go potty and eat and what not but when hes around our family hes all over the place, no stop... he jumps everywhere.. he chews everything (we've gotten him plenty of toys and bones to chew up but hes relentless) and he bites everyone, HARD.. ive been very consistent with the "NO BITE" and grabbing him around his muzzle when he does so.. and pushing him off and telling him "no jump" or "down" when he jumps up. He's 15 weeks old now and still so over baring.. and I know hes still a pup and just "playing" in his mind but hes sooo rough that he draws blood.. the kids dont want to be around him... everyones scared of him.. he play fetch for long periods outside so he can burn off some energy and hope that he will mellow out some after but it doesnt phase him!! he still needs one more set of shots this weekend before he can go out for walks but we've practiced walking him in the backyard... hes just so big and he doesnt understand how aggressive he is when he plays and how much he hurts the kids and my fiance and I when he comes at us full throttle. He was put in his crate every time we were at work and not home to watch him but over the last two weeks or so he's outback all the time when were not home (thinking that would give him more space to run and play and wear him out so when we get home maybe he wouldnt be AS wild) but this has not helped one bit.. he just destroys everything.. chewed up all our drip lines outback, our hose.. our screen door.. and I know he just wants the attention.. but some times when hes TOO much and wont listen i spank him (not hard or anything) and tell him firmly NO or STOP and I'll grab his collar and hold him still so he will stop jumping around but this doesnt even phase him any more either... have you seen marley and me? well this is our Zeke!!! I cant even have him in the house for very long any more cuz right away hes attacking everyone and everything in the house even when were standing right next to him, hes like he has no fear or no respect any more... IDK what to do

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also, I was reading up on some tips online and someone said if a dog really is too hyper and over baring all the time, they may have a problem and that this person found out through her vet that her dog needed some kind of herbal remedies to help it relax some or something? anyone ever heard of this?

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a puppy to me and Labs are puppies for almost 3yrs. If you search this forum you will find great advice.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I cant imagine every single puppy is this wild or half the people who own adult labs would have gotten them as an adult, right??

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What have you done to train him? He is plenty old enough to be in a puppy kindergarten class which would benefit you greatly in learning how to work with and train your dog.

I could have told you in advance that leaving him outdoors would result in the destruction of your yard - he is not mentally engaged while outdoors alone all day so he is going to find things to get into for entertainment. That is not his fault. If you left a toddler human on their own in a potentially dangerous environment, would you expect a good result? I wouldn't.

He is essentially the mental age of a toddler human. You need to make his world safe and teach him how to behave in it. Spanking is totally lost on a dog/puppy. He has no idea what you are doing it for - trust me - and the message he gets is that you are bigger and a little dangerous. The only good that spanking does is maybe allow you a way to vent your anger. It's not discipline for the dog - discipline is supposed to teach something.

Have you read the sticky at the top of this board (Our Best Advice)? My best advice for you is to get into a class right away.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

get into a puppy class ASAP. if they are not available at this point I'd recommend a trianer to come into your home to get you started until you do can obedience classes.

you have a very typical lab puppy. And yes, they bite, they have energy, they destroy things if left unattended. Do not leave him outside unattended.

make sure he gets plenty of physical exercise, playing outside in the yard (play with him, he will not exercise himself).

Make sure you get started on basic training and practice daily (this exercise the brain)

get some safe toys for him to play with and chew on in the house (antlers, nylabones, etc.)

get a crate and crate train.

Take a deep breath.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

My best suggestion is to read the links to 100s of puppy training links. Much better said than what i will type here.

You have a young dog. He has razor sharp teeth. And he will soon be teething his adult teeth. The good news is the adult teeth are not as sharp. But you can't wait for that.

(1) ALL family members have to be in on the training. NO EXCEPTIONS! Consistency with all family embers is key.
    (2) If he bites human skin, a scream! A high pitched annoying scream. Doesn't matter if the bite hurts. The women and kids tend to be able to produce much better screams than the men.
    (3) Some will argue with this, but if he bites, he goes in the crate. IMMEDIATELY! 10 seconds later is too late, he has no idea why if you wait just that long.
    (4) Chewing his toys? Get used to it. It may never stop. Chewing kids toys, furniture, etc? Well some good pick up practices would be good so the wrong things aren't available. Trade what he shouldn't be chewing (Leave it! Drop it!) for something he can have his fun with. Remember he is teething.
    (5) DO NOT HIT THAT DOG. DO NOT HIT ANY DOG. If you can't be patient and that is the only answer you can come up with. Find that poor dog another home now.
    (6) You have a yard. Spend some time out there with him. Throw a ball. Have several balls available. Reward him when he brings them back. I found having two balls did the trick. If he wants you to throw the second ball, he has to bring you the first ball.
    (7) This should have been first. FIND a beginners obedience class, or puppy class. This is where you take the dog to learn. NO! The dog doesn't learn anything in a series of 1 hour classes. YOU learn how to train the dog. Start looking for one of these classes as soon as you finish reading this sentence.

NOW! Why are you still reading????????????????????????
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by michelle.p View Post
    I cant imagine every single puppy is this wild or half the people who own adult labs would have gotten them as an adult, right??
    It's about how you manage and train a puppy. If you don't provide consistency, a training routine, rules and structure most puppies (regardless of breed) can be challenging.

When I read the book "Marley" the thing that struck me was not that the puppy/dog was so very difficult - it was that the owners were not all that great in their responsibility to train and lead the dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Please stop spanking your puppy! That will serve no purpose. Did you research the breed before you got your puppy? Labs are high energy and very mouthy as puppies. Your lab doesn't sound any different than any other. The difference is in how you handle and train him. You got him at 8 weeks, which is a proper age. I think you need some help. Hire a trainer, or set up kindergarten classes for him. You should be thankful your pup didn't harm himself left unsupervised in your yard. I would be thankful destroying some drip lines and a screen door is all that happened. NEVER leave your puppy unattended! So much can happen! Puppies will chomp on you! My hands and arms looked like shredded cheese when Sophie was little! We all kept at it, commanding Don't Bite with a hand on her muzzle every time she chewed on us. Even the neighbor kids and friends knew what to do when she nibbled on them. It took a good month and one day she just stopped. As far as being a ball of energy, that's called being a labby puppy! We used to say Sophie was like a dog on crack! LOL! Play a lot of chuck it and things to keep him running. It will get better eventually...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

smokey is offline Senior Member

When you posted a while back about this you said you were going to check into having a trainer come to the house? Did you and if so did you/are you following through with their suggestions? We are only into our third week of basic obedience classes and just by doing a little training everyday of what we learned there I see a big difference in what I can ask of my puppy in terms of sit or down and stay. They learn quickly if you are consistent. My puppy is a very good boy when I play with him outside and he has a chance to really burn some energy and practice his commands, he comes in the house and is content for a while afterwards. I also realize he is just barely 5 months and I can't expect too much.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast