Crazy Pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Pup

Quickie is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrazy Pup

Hi all

I have a 9 1/2 week old Choc Lab called Lennox. In almost every way he is the perfect dog. Seperation from his mum and littermates was almost painless, the first car journey was easy, he didnt need crate training, he just went in on his own and is now happy to chill out in there. He sleeps right through the night and house training is coming along nicely.

I do have couple of problems with him though, some of which i know are normal like mouthing, which i am working on correcting. He also has a thing for chasing feet and legs. I have him set on a good routine of waking up from a sleep, 'hurry ups' outside, back in for 5 - 7 minutes of training followed by 5 - 7 minutes of fetch or a treasure hunt and then let him relax on the rug with his favourite chew toy. After a couple of minutes he starts going crazy. He violently shakes his head with the toy in his mouth and then sprints all around the room going absolutley mental, i try not to chase him because i know he thinks it is a game but i was just wondering if this behaviour was normal?

Many thanks

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Sounds pretty normal to me. The crazy runs in circles? Some people call it the 'Butt-Tuck' run, but a lot of dogs do that for whatever reason is in their head. My daughter's dog, runs to find a toy, and does those crazy runs every time someone she knows comes into their house. It is hillarious.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

smokey is offline Senior Member

Yep, sounds normal to me! The ankle biting stopped for us pretty quickly...the crazy shaking of toys and running like a mad man are still with us at 5 months! Now he "throws" his own toys halfway across the room and nose dives after them. Too much of this tells me to take him out and let him run it off!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

yep, completely normal
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Parcae is offline Senior Member

Sounds normal. We call it the crazy-run. My old dog Dave did it a lot even when he was 12 years old, it usually meant he was really happy about something. My fourteen week old Roffe does the same thing

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Yup, perfectly normal, and one of the many things that make me smile about my dogs!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

My 15 week old does it too, I call it Zummieeeee! When he tucks in his Butt and runs around like a mad man. I laugh like crazy at him.
    He was in the ankle/leg biting phase for awhile between weeks 10-13 but has seemed to out grow that pretty quickly.

webstah.jpg

Quickie is offline Junior Member

Many thanks for the reassurance. Its nice to know he's hopefully happy and not bored/hyper. I took two weeks off work to help him settle in and im dreading being torn away from him. Its been a fun two weeks. Luckily i work locally and my boss is going to allow me home twice a day on my breaks to sort him out.

I discovered the edible nylabones today. Quite possibly the best invention ever. Ive never seen him so content. Thanks again

lennox 2.jpg

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

LOL! Yup, totally normal. We call them zoomies in our house! Step back & watch him go!!

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Crazy running fits and we have them too. Gus is 8 months old and when he starts we head him outside for a good run to calm him down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast