Potty Training Help PLEASE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty Training Help PLEASE

mikhailamiller is offline Junior Member

DefaultPotty Training Help PLEASE

Ryder will be 8 months old on Oct 4 and he still isnt potty trained I have been at it since he was 8 weeks old. I have 5 different potty training books on the coffee table and have tried all the techniques. I've taken him out every other hour consistnetly, done the crate training for potty training, have bells on the door. Never leave him alone. He is good if you take him out every few hours but sometimes he justs takes a squat and goes right before you. He never makes any indication he has to go, wont work the bells, wont go to the door or whine or anything. He will even pee in his kennel. I have absolutely no idea what to do or what im doing wrong. I praise when he goes outside and stop him when i catch him going inside but he will litterally just look at you while he pees inside. He doesnt even circle or sniff just goes. Please Please help me. I have tried all the techniques i will try anything to get him potty trained lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

That's a long time!

Have you ruled out a physical problem with him (bladder/UTI infection, physical malformation, diabetes)? The vet should check him out to rule out something that could be causing this that is beyond his control. Its very odd for a dog that is physically close to being an adult to be unable to hold it for more than a few hours.

If he has a clean bill of health - then -

Are you thoroughly cleaning areas where he has peed with an enzymatic cleaner (like Natures Miracle or hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar)? Using a household cleaner is only going to clean up the smell partially - a dog will continue to pee where it smells (to him) like pee. If you have done this with all surfaces (including his bedding) then its another issue.

You can get a belly band (usually used by incontinent dogs) to help with this - he won't be able to pee on the floor with it on. Whether he keeps it on is another story.

There is also a pheremone product - DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Calming Collar for Dogs It's designed to calm a puppy/dog - but I used something like this when I was having similar issues with my 6 month old rescue who arrived marginally house trained.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

K2-Kevin is offline Member

I'm by no means an expert on the subject. We have a 10 week old Lab and of course she still has accidents (Our fault, for not being attentive enough). We NEVER scold her for relieving herself inside after-the-fact, but if we catch her in the act, we DO yell NO!!! grab her, and run outside with her. She's normally done by this point, but we hope it helps re-enforce outside is where you should be going.

What is really working for us is BIG rewards for "doing her business" outside. Not only do we praise her like crazy IMMEDIATELY after she goes, when she comes in we give her a "treat" (a piece of her food or a small broken-off piece of dog biscuit). She now goes to our back door, sits and/or rings the bell to go out. If she goes outside and doesnt pee/poop, she does NOT get praise or a treat when we return inside.

We normally give her at least 5-10 minutes outside no matter the end result. If she pee's immediately after going out, we let her stay outside for the same amount of time, we never rush her back inside. I think this helps encourage a puppy to go right away, rather then holding it just to stay outside longer.

Food and praise is KING for most if not all breeds. Be sure you praise and treat her for doing the right thing. Most of this Praise is all thats needed, but the treat for what we consider important mile-stones (House breaking, coming to us when called etc.) I feel really helps.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I have a gift for potty training. Of all the things to be gifted in, this is the least valuable, except that I might be able to help you out with your problem.

Seriously, it's a gift.

So what are you doing when he potties in the house when you see him? I know a lot of people say not to discipline them or anything, but here's what I do. If you catch him once or twice, he'll stop doing it.

I trap my youngins in the room with me no matter where I am. And if they start to pee, I go HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY yelling like an idiot the whole time and while they're figuring out if the world is ending, I'm shuffling their behind out the damn door.

I do NOT give any attention outside at all. Even if they potty. Here's my reasoning. He just pissed in my house.

I keep the dog outside until the incident in question is cleaned up inside.

Rinse and repeat.

If you scare the crap out of them while they're peeing, they'll want to go away from you to pee.

Makes more sense than rewarding them, no?

Seriously. Zero accidents with my last puppy. Zero.

I am super cautious though, I make sure they're supervised 110% of the time. If I can't give all my attention to potty training, they're in the crate.

At this point, I'd suggest this: Make the crate smaller. If there's no blankets in there, put them in. Feed him in his crate so he doesn't want to defecate where the feeding happens.

And if he's in there for more than an hour or two, RUN him outside when you let him out, RUN. Don't walk. Don't let him stop to sniff or find a toy.

Also make sure everything is very well cleaned after he makes a mistake.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I have a gift for potty training. Of all the things to be gifted in, this is the least valuable, except that I might be able to help you out with your problem.

Seriously, it's a gift.

So what are you doing when he potties in the house when you see him? I know a lot of people say not to discipline them or anything, but here's what I do. If you catch him once or twice, he'll stop doing it.

I trap my youngins in the room with me no matter where I am. And if they start to pee, I go HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY yelling like an idiot the whole time and while they're figuring out if the world is ending, I'm shuffling their behind out the damn door.

I do NOT give any attention outside at all. Even if they potty. Here's my reasoning. He just pissed in my house.

I keep the dog outside until the incident in question is cleaned up inside.

Rinse and repeat.

If you scare the crap out of them while they're peeing, they'll want to go away from you to pee.

Makes more sense than rewarding them, no?

Seriously. Zero accidents with my last puppy. Zero.

I am super cautious though, I make sure they're supervised 110% of the time. If I can't give all my attention to potty training, they're in the crate.

At this point, I'd suggest this: Make the crate smaller. If there's no blankets in there, put them in. Feed him in his crate so he doesn't want to defecate where the feeding happens.

And if he's in there for more than an hour or two, RUN him outside when you let him out, RUN. Don't walk. Don't let him stop to sniff or find a toy.

Also make sure everything is very well cleaned after he makes a mistake.
    This is wonderful advice!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

What a sweet photo of him sleeping!

I also use the loud, "HEY" to startle the puppy / dog into realizing the pee is no a desired action in my houses.
    Followed by a back yard outing while I clean up the mess.

I suggest finding a good product and cleaning all of his spots where his has peed in the past. Removing any bedding from the crate, and cleaning it(the crate) with the same product, or get a different crate. His scent is there. Had to use this with 2 foster dogs with a similar potty training issues. Both are now retrained and have happy homes.

Good luck!

Thank you guys for all of the advice. Yes ive ruled out a vet problem and I know its not marking problem. He just straight out pees. And I've tried the yelling and the shaking of the can with coins and rocks. I've tried them both together. He just keeps on peeing and looks at me like im retarded. I mean nothing phases this dog. I have him in the smallest kennel that he can lay in comfortable wich is an x-large. He's a big boy and keeps on growing. I mean my biggest issue is he wont give me any indication he has to go at all. wont come up to me or anything. He is usually good if i take him out which i do but sometimes he has to go an hour after coming in again and hell just go :/ He is also confined to the living room with me or kenneled if im not watching him.

Barbara1 is offline Member

Have you thought of tracking the times that he pees? There might be a pattern so that you can rush him out just before you suspect he's ready according to your tracking over a few days time. That would at least break him of the pattern of peeing in the house.

There must be a signal of some kind that is just so tiny you can't see it - follow him around and watch him like a hawk. I know it sounds silly but could you video tape him? And get the family in on it - to watch him all day and evening for a few days. A pattern will show up that you can work with. Just a crazy idea but who knows!!!!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You did not answer the question about how and with what you are cleaning where he pees. That could be a large part of this problem.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I had been using natures mircle until last month when I switched to Bissel stain&odor. Our strongest enzyme cleaning action is what it says. Nature mircle didn't seem to keep him from peeing. Also started renting a rug doctor steam cleaner once a month to make sure he can't smell anything and to keep my carpet clean. I'm probably spending 60 to 100 bucks on my carpet alone. And I've times his schedule that's why I take him out every 4 hours. But he will still come in and pee an hour later or 15 min later without giving a sign even in his kennel not one single sound :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast