Any tips to get your puppy to sleep longer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips to get your puppy to sleep longer

berndt_toast is offline Junior Member

DefaultAny tips to get your puppy to sleep longer

I have a 15 week old chocolate lab puppy (Lola) and she is really hit or miss when it comes to sleeping past 4:30AM. Sometimes she can sleep until 6, which is when I get up to go to work, and other times like this morning, she gets up at 4:45 and wants to play. We walk her everyday (usually twice for about 20-30 minutes each) and play fetch in the house with her. We usually go to bed around 10, so I would hope she would want to sleep more than 6 hours. We pull her water up about an hour before we put her in the crate where she sleeps, and make sure she poops and pees before she goes to bed. Any help would be extremely helpful.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by berndt_toast; 09-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me like she could use some more exercise like running/playing off leash in your yard or a safe open space. Definitely no forced exercise at this age but 2 walks and some indoor fetch would not have touched the energy level of any lab puppy I have had at that age. Probably not until they were an older senior.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tammy. Lots of exercise. We walk Mo a few times a day but it's never forced. We stop all the time and let him sniff or visit with the neighbors and get lots of hugs. We also play fetch up and down the hallway, tug of war, and chase. We do this for over an hour in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon. He goes to bed around 8:00 and sleeps until 5:00. If he isn't exhausted by the time he goes to bed, he is up a few hours later. Good luck

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barbara1 is offline Member

I agree that is good advice. We were cautious about too much exercise and tried to follow the guidelines we read about - 15 minutes per month etc. but in the end we let Molly show us how much she could handle. At 14 and 15 weeks she could really GO flat out - and she was chasing older dogs in the family like crazy for 20 minutes after a fairly long walk and then coming home for more play. She had 3 or 4 20 minute naps throughout the day and would even have a nap before bed - but by golly she slept like a log pretty much from the git go.

So be careful but not too cautious. Much more play outside, let your dog run and play outside more where she can move around freely until she flops down tired. And training also tires them out. Mental stimulation is "exercise" too. So give that a try in the evenings after dinner.

Sorry I forgot to say that sometimes if Molly wakes really early (4:15 say) I'll take her out for a pee then put her back with a few treats and she's good until 6. This may work for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by my2labs View Post
    I agree with Tammy. Lots of exercise. We walk Mo a few times a day but it's never forced. We stop all the time and let him sniff or visit with the neighbors and get lots of hugs. We also play fetch up and down the hallway, tug of war, and chase. We do this for over an hour in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon. He goes to bed around 8:00 and sleeps until 5:00. If he isn't exhausted by the time he goes to bed, he is up a few hours later. Good luck
    We did the same with Maxx once he had all his shots. Had several sessions of free play in the back yard alone and with Emma, training time twice a day, fetch time inside and out and he still had energy to come in and play bitey face with Emma for 10 or 15 minutes 3 or 4 times a daym as well as his play time with Lauren on her lunch hour on the days everyone is gone all day. But, Maxx has always slept like a rock and snored loudly all night long. (He tends to sleep upside down and twisted around, very uncomfortable looking positions, lol!) He has always gone to bed around 10 and sleeps until 6 on weekdays and until he is ready to get up on weekends. Since he was 6 months old or so he actually goes in to the bedroom to go to bed if I am up past 10 and if I don't go in the bedroom within 10 minutes or so he comes looking for me.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

At what age do you think it is OK for them to sleep outside the crate? Right now, our crate is in our living room and our bedroom is upstairs. Eventually, we would like her to sleep in our bedroom (ideally on the floor or pet bed, but in our bed would be OK too). We have a 6 year old Beagle who sleeps in bed with us currently.

Barbara1 - I tried that this morning but when I got up to let her outside, so did our other dog and then it was like a playtime extravaganza for the two of them. It has worked other times when I can go downstairs, keep all the lights off, and just put her back in the crate after letting her outside.

All dogs are different, we have a crate in the bedroom also and Maxx slept there, next to the bed, from the day we brought him home. At about 6 - 7 months old we left the crate door open with a gate on the bedroom door or the door closed. There are 2 comfy dog beds at the foot of the bed and I have always allowed my dogs on the bed. Maxx still sleeps in his crate on most nights, his choice, with the door open. He will get on the bed for a while but gets too hot and gets down. His crate has a really thick foam, covered bed in it and he loves his crate. He has a fan pointed at the front of his crate so I think that is one of the reasons he likes it so much. He also will sleep on the master bath tile floor on top of the a/c vent. I tried putting a bed in the bathroom for him but he just dragged it out. He seems to prefer the coolest possible place to sleep.
    If an early morning pee break tuned in to a play session carry your puppy out, alone, and bring it right back in so they are not out there together and given the opportunity to start playing.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 09-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

tammy great advice to try to stop making this a play time! And we went ahead and got two wire crates, one for bed in our room, and one for naps and quiet times for our living area - works well and we hope Molly will sleep in her bedroom crate forever. We don't want her to get into the habit of wandering at night - but I appreciate that many folks love to have their "babies" up on the bed at night!!!

Tammy, normally that is what I do. It just so happened that Sandy our Beagle snuck out the door as soon as I got up. This morning she was up at 4AM, and I let her out by herself and picked her up and put her back in the crate. She still wanted to get up, so we have a crate in our basement (we leave a light on for her so that it is not completely dark) that we can put her in so she can "cry it out" until she gets tired and so that we can sleep a little longer. Some point between 5-6AM she stopped crying and fell back asleep until I got up at 6:15. My wife and I are going to Ireland for 2 weeks and the in-laws will be watching her. I hope she does well for them. Fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast