My dogs just fought over food crumbs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dogs just fought over food crumbs

Taylor&Luna is offline Member

DefaultMy dogs just fought over food crumbs

My brother dropped some food on the ground by accident and my beagle (female 3 year old) came running to eat it at the same time as my lab (7 months old).Then my beagle snarled at her, and my lab pounced on to my beagle. This is the first time this has happened or has gone this far as to them actually fighting. Last time something like this happened my lab was 4 months, she had just finished her food and went to try and eat my beagles food, my beagle growled at her and the lab laid down and i shouted no! So my beagle stopped right there and then. What am i supposed to do now? We used to give them small pieces of our food when they would beg every now and then but that is no longer going to happen. My lab isn't aggressive at all. My beagle has had food aggression issues where she would growl at us for getting close to her food, as soon as that happened we started hand feeding and she stopped soon after. They eat from separate bowls about 7 feet away from each other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Since table food is not good for them anyway I would stop allowing them the opportunity to fight over it. It does sound like your Beagle could really benefit from some NILF training before someone gets hurt. I would never tolerate food aggression, or any type of aggression, in one of my dogs. A session or 2 with a trainer may be very helpful before things get worse.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I feed them in seperate rooms if one growls.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Since table food is not good for them anyway I would stop allowing them the opportunity to fight over it. It does sound like your Beagle could really benefit from some NILF training before someone gets hurt. I would never tolerate food aggression, or any type of aggression, in one of my dogs. A session or 2 with a trainer may be very helpful before things get worse.
    Its because we have spoiled her too much in the past. So yes it looks like she is going to start to earn things. What baffles me is that it happened unexpectedly over crumbs. They get along just fine. After the fight happened i put one in one room and the other dog in another. Then i brought them back out and Luna sat and Taylor came and sniffed her then they started wagging their tails.

Ill start feeding them further a part one eat in the kitchen and the other eats in the living room

Brette is offline Senior Member

When my dogs become possessive of things i give them hell. Not physically but I can sound very stern, threatening and loud when i want to. It was all they needed to both smarten up. This type of behaviour is the kind of stuff you have to nip in the bud or it just sort of spirals out of control and becomes habit for them. Sometimes when they realize that a particular behaviour is unacceptable, that's all they need to not do it again.Give it a try and keep us posted!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

For me, this situation is not just about the beagle being food possessive - it is about the Lab not respecting her boundries, too. IMHO, you should not have interfered the first time that the Lab approached the beagle while she was eating. While it is hard to see adult dogs correcting puppies, they almost always do so in a manner that teaches a lesson to the puppy and usually they don't hurt the puppy. Obviously, I don't know how stable your beagle is in general, but had she established her boundries with the Lab originally they might have a better understanding now.

My older Lab corrected my younger one in no uncertain terms when the puppy first arrived here. Blaise wandered over towards Diesel's bowl when he was being fed and Diesel (who is really quite mild mannered generally) got quite snarly. Blaise YIPED and backed off and gave him a wide berth from then on at dinnertime. Now they are very comfortable and respectful of each other's space and Diesel is not threatened by Blaise being in the vicinity while he is eating.

In your case - I would consider feeding the Lab in his crate in order to reduce the stress level your beagle is experiencing and also do NILIF with her.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Brette is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    For me, this situation is not just about the beagle being food possessive - it is about the Lab not respecting her boundries, too. IMHO, you should not have interfered the first time that the Lab approached the beagle while she was eating. While it is hard to see adult dogs correcting puppies, they almost always do so in a manner that teaches a lesson to the puppy and usually they don't hurt the puppy.
    I agree with you that the lab is not respecting boundaries but I think to be on the safe side the correction should come from the owner, and not leave it up to the other dogs to sort things out. You just never know. I also agree that NILF is the way to go.

Okay i understand what y'all are saying about the boundaries. In this instance the lab was only licking the floor about 3 feet away when my beagle flipped out. So im not sure if they are related to the first incident when the lab was 4 months? I have notice that the lab waits until my beagle is done eating to get close to her.

Oh and they have always been feed in separate bowls and eat close to each other without a problem. I have changed that because i don't want any surprises.
    Last edited by Taylor&Luna; 09-17-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    it is about the Lab not respecting her boundries, too. IMHO, you should not have interfered the first time that the Lab approached the beagle while she was eating.
    You are right. They went at it again. This time I noticed my beagles and labs body language. Taylor (beagle) was on the bed playing with a toy and and my lab came and stared her down. My beagle let out a small growl but my lab kept approaching her regardless.

I my lab is provoking her. My dogs are lacking exercise and know thats part of the problem. i am afraid to let Taylor correct the lab because she's 8 months now and is much bigger than Taylor.

Im going to consult with a trainer as soon as a find a close one but most are in the in the down town area.. which i don't live close too.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd consult a behaviorist - not just a trainer. You can make this much worse if you get someone who is not properly trained in dealing with behavioral issues involving aggression. Directory of Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists — Animal Behavior Society: Applied Animal Behavior

Check out the link for a list of Certified Animal Behaviorists.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast