Realistic Expectations: Potty Training

Thread: Realistic Expectations: Potty Training

Dallas12 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRealistic Expectations: Potty Training

Hi everyone,

Our lab pup is 13 weeks old and just when we think her bladder "must" be empty she will squat and pee inside. I know that puppies have small bladders, but we've assumed that once she pees twice during a potty break, we are good for at least an hour. Nope, not our puppy.

Yes, we are using commands and going to the same area each time. We also take her immediately outside after she wakes up from napping or after gulping water.

I am just mainly wanting to know a general time frame for potty training. We've mastered the crate training, but I'm getting a little tired being a constant hawk AND I would like to spend some time out of the "Go pee-pee" area of my yard.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hellosusieqz is offline Member

Unfortunately, I think being a hawk is the only option right now! I know it definitely tries your patience, but she will get it after much repitition. Something we learned, especially with potty training, is that you can have her go potty outside 9 times in a row but the second she does that 1 time inside, the training starts over. It only takes once! We broke the potty inside problem by taking our pup out constantly and praising him like mad whenever he went outside. We became his personal cheerleading team, haha. Also look for the signs if she is about to go inside. Does she start to squat? Does she sniff around? Does she start spreading her legs? The second you notice it, scoop her up and bring her outside. With diligence, patience, and constant praise, she will make the connection : ) hope this helps a little!!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Have you been very careful to clean the areas she has peed on in your home with a cleaner such as Natures Miracle? Using regular household cleaner is not going to work. If you have and she continues to pee the minute you bring her in from going outside, and you are certain she is peeing outside several times you may want to have the vet check her for a UTI. Other than that, potty training is a constant job for the first several weeks to months, depending on the dog. It usually does not take long and is such an easy thing. Frustration with this process does not bode well for the training you have in the future with a young lab puppy. Try to relax and remember, this too shall pass. (and usually does rather quickly.)
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

K2-Kevin is offline Member

Call us lucky, our new little 9 week old is actually now going to the back door and sitting on matt (Letting us know she has to go pee). She is being crate trained, but anytime we are home and able to watch her, we let her out to play. We do NOT give her free access to the house, just our family room and adjoining sun-room (Where her crate and food bowls are). We take her out 20-25 minutes after meals, she has full access to water while out of the crate. Before I take her out, I sit her on the floor matt at the door, and say "go outside", then immediately open the door and walk out with her to the area we designated. She generally will pee within 2 minutes, and we let her stay outside for another 5 - 10 minutes. Sometimes she poops, sometimes not depending on time of day. I think its important to let her stay outside after she pee's so the dog doesn't learn to hold it while outside just to stay outside longer.

Just this week she has started to go to the back door matt on her own! I didnt intend to train her this way, am looking to start "Bell Training" soon, but she's learning something...

Also, at night, before we put her in the crate (10pm - 11pm-ish) we take her out one last time. And she makes it through the night without a peep.
    Last edited by K2-Kevin; 09-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.

smokey is offline Senior Member

Call us lucky, our new little 9 week old is actually now going to the back door and sitting on matt (Letting us know she has to go pee). She is being crate trained, but anytime we are home and able to watch her, we let her out to play. We do NOT give her free access to the house, just our family room and adjoining sun-room (Where her crate and food bowls are). We take her out 20-25 minutes after meals, she has full access to water while out of the crate. Before I take her out, I sit her on the floor matt at the door, and say "go outside", then immediately open the door and walk out with her to the area we designated. She generally will pee within 2 minutes, and we let her stay outside for another 5 - 10 minutes. Sometimes she poops, sometimes not depending on time of day. I think its important to let her stay outside after she pee's so the dog doesn't learn to hold it while outside just to stay outside longer.

Just this week she has started to go to the back door matt on her own! I didnt intend to train her this way, am looking to start "Bell Training" soon, but she's learning something...

Also, at night, before we put her in the crate (10pm - 11pm-ish) we take her out one last time. And she makes it through the night without a peep

I have been so surprised at how easy it's been with my little boy, too. He has always since the first week we had him slept at least 7 hours through the night and housebreaking has been EASY! This is my first lab as an adult, not my first dog though and he has been by far the easiest at housebreaking. He is not yet 5 months and I trust him not to pee or poop in the house ever. chewing is a whole nother story!

I second the checking her for UTI just to be sure.
    Smokey 4/25/2012