Crate Training Relapse

Thread: Crate Training Relapse

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Training Relapse

I think we made a mistake with crate training.... Our puppy is 4 months. She was crate trained from the first day we brought her home. She goes to work with my boyfriend so we don't usually use the crate during the day. If we go out to dinner or run an errand we will put her in the crate. Never for more than a few hours. Over the last few weeks we have let her sleep on the bedroom floor a couple nights per week. Mostly this is because she was whining and crying so much that we caved in and let her out. Also she wakes up around 5 every day and after taking her outside we usually let her sleep on the floor in the room until she has breakfast at 6:30-7. So I think we have given her mixed messages with the crate. It actually doesn't bother me that she sleeps on the floor but I have to use the crate when we go out (or she will chew up everything). Any suggestions on how we can get her back in the crate at night (or during the day)? Are there bones or any other treats we should give her to take in her crate? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You are just going to have to tough it out through the whining. Every time you give in and let her out the more you are reinforcing that whining works and gets her what she wants.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 09-10-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Been there about 2 weeks ago with our new pup. First 3 nights, he cried and whined for over an hour but he eventually wore himself out enough to sleep. Every night after that, the whining got shorter and shorten in length and now he goes in and goes to sleep. We put bone in his crate to chew if he wakes up and that usually keeps him busy. I found a treat he will run into his crate for and I make a huge deal when he goes in on his own. It took a while and a few sleepless nights but it was worth it to have a crate trained boy. Like Sharon mentioned, if you let them out when they whine, you'll have a bigger problem on your hands. Put them in the crate for short periods of time and put her food in there so she realizes it isn't a punishment to go in the crate. Good luck

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jls
    jls is offline Senior Member

Getting her Back in there tonight! Thanks for the replies