What happened to our sweet puppy?!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What happened to our sweet puppy?!

  1. #1
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    DefaultWhat happened to our sweet puppy?!

    Hey guys,

    We have had our newest edition, Romy (also 6 months old like Bentley) for about 2 months now. After having her with us for a week, we decided to keep her because she was super sweet, and she and Bentley got along amazingly well. Now I can't possibly imagine our home without her!

    I posted not too long ago concerned that their play was way too rough, as they were getting some nicks and scrapes around their mouths and ears. But after consulting a lot of people, I realized it was just something normal that they would work out, so I let it go. And sure enough, I stopped seeing scrapes!

    Well, we have recently run into a really big problem...on Friday morning, they came in from playing outside and Bentley had a small puncture wound on the scruff of his neck...I didn't want to think that Romy had actually bit him hard enough to pierce skin, so I took him to the vet to see what they thought. Sure enough, it was a bite wound. I almost broke down right there. The tech said she has run into issues like that with her dogs when they were 6 month old pups, too, and she reassured me something could be done to help. I felt a little better.

    However, that same day, Romy suddenly started getting really possessive over their bones. She has never ever growled or snapped at him, but multiple times that day, she did. He would just walk NEAR her while she had a bone and she would start growling. I would of course reprimand her and take the bone away, but now I feel even more uneasy...

    Where did all this come from?? Thursday night, we were all one big happy family and then all the sudden Friday, in one day, she bit Bentley enough to puncture the skin and became territorial and possessive every time he came near her. This has all happened literally within the last couple days...randomly!! It's like a switch went off in her head. Even at the dog park last night, we had to give her three time outs because she was going insane and playing way too rough towards other dogs.

    Bentley is the most submissive dog, too, and Romy is very dominant. She has no problem sticking up for herself, but now I think it's getting out of hand...

    Can anyone give me some insight?? I hate to label a 6 month old puppy with aggressive tendencies...I want think it's just her testing. Do I need to be too worried, is it something we can control and fix easily??

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Oh yes, I forgot to mention...we have talked to some trainers. A couple of them think it's "just a phase" she's going through. I don't know what to think.

    Also, just this morning, she snapped at him for walking near her while she was laying down. There were no treats or toys involved, she just snapped at him randomly. I do not know what to do.

  4. #3
    Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,869

    Default

    I've never had two dogs so others that have/do will be able to provide better insight, but I think you need to use NILF with Romy and correct her when she is trying to dominate Bentley and being possessive (growling etc).

    Whether that means having a leash on her so you can do a quick jerk on the lead while using a command or a sharp "ah-ah" you really do need to step in - maybe remove her from the room? But I wouldn't crate her as you don't want to give the idea the crate is a bad thing. I would assume that in a 2 dog household one would be more dominant than the other. Sorry, not much help but others will chime in!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    they are both six months old?

    You have dogs hitting maturity at the same time. Maturity can sometimes make dogs behaviour differently as they see what they can get away with and yes, stuff like possessiveness and aggression can come out during this time. Less so in labs I would say but in general. So not unusual that this is coming out now. I agree with the vet who said this was not unusual. ONe of hte reasons it is preferable to not get two puppies (though I guess it is rarely mentioned!) even when they are not litter mates.

    I would get her a full physical to make sure she is healthy. then NILF and puppy boot camp. Monitor their careful when they are together and manage toys, food and high value objects. it can get better and I would work with a trainer.

    Having multiple dogs isn't always rainbows and sunshine. sometimes fights break out and stuff happens that you have to manage and work on.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  7. #5
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    I've never had two dogs so others that have/do will be able to provide better insight, but I think you need to use NILF with Romy and correct her when she is trying to dominate Bentley and being possessive (growling etc).

    Whether that means having a leash on her so you can do a quick jerk on the lead while using a command or a sharp "ah-ah" you really do need to step in - maybe remove her from the room? But I wouldn't crate her as you don't want to give the idea the crate is a bad thing. I would assume that in a 2 dog household one would be more dominant than the other. Sorry, not much help but others will chime in!
    Thank you for your input! She is very different when I am right there supervising, I think I just need to constantly be in there area. Correcting it immediately definitely seems to be key so far!

  8. #6
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    they are both six months old?

    You have dogs hitting maturity at the same time. Maturity can sometimes make dogs behaviour differently as they see what they can get away with and yes, stuff like possessiveness and aggression can come out during this time. Less so in labs I would say but in general. So not unusual that this is coming out now. I agree with the vet who said this was not unusual. ONe of hte reasons it is preferable to not get two puppies (though I guess it is rarely mentioned!) even when they are not litter mates.

    I would get her a full physical to make sure she is healthy. then NILF and puppy boot camp. Monitor their careful when they are together and manage toys, food and high value objects. it can get better and I would work with a trainer.

    Having multiple dogs isn't always rainbows and sunshine. sometimes fights break out and stuff happens that you have to manage and work on.
    Thank you Tanya, I totally think you are right...the maturity thing makes sense, too, I guess I was just so used to how Bentley approached things that I didn't really take into account how another puppy with a completely different personality would act! I think we are going to contact one of those trainers again and get them in here to help us out. Thank you so much for responding!

  9. #7
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    We had a bit of a problem with Sophie at about that age when it came to real raw marrow bones. Are the bones Romy is protecting this kind of bone? We found out that real bones can make a dog think in a primal way. Sophie growled at me once and I took it away from her. About an hour later I gave it back and she did it again. I took it away, and didn't give her another marrow bone for months. She was about a year old when i gave her another one. This time, no problem. We have had no problems since. I wonder of it was a combination of primal instinct along with six months being a transitional period with a puppy? As far as the too rough play, I would supervise them when together and reprimand her when she gets too rough.
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  10. #8
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    Default

    I agree with what Tanya suggested. They might need a little bit of time apart - for the time being, I would pick up all the bones, empty food dishes and other high reward objects and only allow them to chew their bones separately in their crates.

    Sign them both up for obedience classes - separate ones - so they get some one-on-one time with you and work on their behavior, too. As you said, getting a trainer to come to the house to see things first hand might not be a bad idea, too.

  11. #9
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    We had a bit of a problem with Sophie at about that age when it came to real raw marrow bones. Are the bones Romy is protecting this kind of bone? We found out that real bones can make a dog think in a primal way. Sophie growled at me once and I took it away from her. About an hour later I gave it back and she did it again. I took it away, and didn't give her another marrow bone for months. She was about a year old when i gave her another one. This time, no problem. We have had no problems since. I wonder of it was a combination of primal instinct along with six months being a transitional period with a puppy? As far as the too rough play, I would supervise them when together and reprimand her when she gets too rough.
    You know, surprisingly, it was with plain rawhide bones. They are treated as high value items though, as they only get to chew on them occasionally when supervised, so I don't know if maybe she was treating them like the precious treats they are haha. Thankfully, since posting this, she has been much better. We have been NILFing absolutely everything with her. We have also been taking her on morning walks to practice some exercise with leadership (they usually play in the backyard in the AM and at the dog park in the PM for exercise). I think she was definitely trying to just test her place and what she can get away with!

  12. #10
    hellosusieqz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    I agree with what Tanya suggested. They might need a little bit of time apart - for the time being, I would pick up all the bones, empty food dishes and other high reward objects and only allow them to chew their bones separately in their crates.

    Sign them both up for obedience classes - separate ones - so they get some one-on-one time with you and work on their behavior, too. As you said, getting a trainer to come to the house to see things first hand might not be a bad idea, too.
    Most definitely! I think separate, individual training sessions are a huge need here...we do training sessions with them individually, but I'll admit it is probably not as often as we should.

Similar Threads

  1. My little sweet puppy is such a trickster!!!
    By mandaz000 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 11:41 PM
  3. Sniff... The Sweet Smell of a Puppy
    By HunterLilly in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
  4. puppy video, sweet and nice (you may need kleenex)
    By raptorlabs in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2006, 10:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25