Friend making me feel guilty for buying a puppy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend making me feel guilty for buying a puppy

my2labs is offline Senior Member

DefaultFriend making me feel guilty for buying a puppy

My husband and I looked into adopting but after weeks of looking at rescues and fosters, we were upset that we couldn't find a dog who would fit into our home. We had to be careful because we have an older dog that was gentle and didnt want a dog who was too large and aggressive and we wanted a dog that was social and friendly. After searching for weeks, we decided to buy a pup from a reputable breeder in the area. We love Mo to death but I have a friend who keeps leaving me messages stating that since I bought a pup, a pup will die in the shelter because of it. She says people should NEVER buy from a breeder while other litters are dying in shelters. I should be enjoying all the time I have with Mo but now I feel guilty for not rescuing. He was just a better fit. What should I do. Am I a bad person for buying and not adopting? What should I say to my friend?

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lauren. is offline Member

I felt guilty when i got my puppy, ive had both my dogs from puppys, but i feel so bad and sorry for dogs in homes.Honestly dont worry about it its your choice at least you have an animal that you care about, enjoy your time! dont bother what other people think :-)

smokey is offline Senior Member

Ouch! Sorry! I have both, I have a chihuahua mix that we adopted last fall and now we have Smokey who came from a breeder. I have mixed feelings myself about it, but am so happy with the puppy we have. I volunteer a lot of time with a mobile vet clinic that focuses on spay/neuter in rural areas and I am well aware of what is going on (unwanted litters, puppy dumping, etc) and still chose to go the route I did. No one should make you feel guilty for getting your puppy from a breeder, you chose to do what was best for your home environment. Not everyone can rescue, circumstances don't always allow it. Love your puppy and tell your friend to mind her business-not yours.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Absolutely not! You didn't cause the problem of dogs in shelters. If you chose to get a shelter dog then good for you. If you don't then that is fine too! Please don't feel at all guilty for buying a dog. You are not responsible for other idiots. The ones who should feel guilty are those who let their dogs go to shelters. Again, please don't feel guilty.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Enjoy your puppy!

Some people wag their tongues just to make themselves feel bigger and better.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what's done is done. you made a decision you were comfortable and if you did your homework and found a reputable breeder there is NOTHING wrong with that. If this person can't let it go they are not much of a "friend". What exactly does this person want you to do - give up the dog and go rescue one - that hardly makes sense.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Ummm... your friend is an ass. They're leaving you messages saying this? I get that they let you know once how they feel, but after that, drop it fgs. You went to a reputable breeder, you didn't just on a whim go and buy one from a pet store. I say, enjoy your beautiful puppy and forget that "friend" if they keep up their bullying ways.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    Ummm... your friend is an ass. They're leaving you messages saying this? I get that they let you know once how they feel, but after that, drop it fgs. You went to a reputable breeder, you didn't just on a whim go and buy one from a pet store. I say, enjoy your beautiful puppy and forget that "friend" if they keep up their bullying ways.
    Completely agree. Your "friend" is a jack hole and is bullying you. There is nothing at all wrong with supporting reputable breeding. Sounds like she's drunk the PETA koolaid. She would be moving into the former friend column if she said that to me more than once.

After all, if no one supports reputable breeding, then all we have left is disreputable breeding (oops litters, BYB and puppy mills) which is what you find in shelters. Do we really want to see well bred Labs become non-existent?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    Ummm... your friend is an ass.
    Completely agree!
    Last edited by slackercodemonkey; 09-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Well that doesn't sound like much of a friend to me. I am afraid I would tell this so called friend to mind their own business! You did what was right for your family, the same way all of us did. I bought from a breeder too, so sue me! Good grief, some people have far too much time on their hands!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast