At what age does the chewing lessen

Thread: At what age does the chewing lessen

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt what age does the chewing lessen

We're adopting a lab and want to get one old enough that he's past the "I chew everything in sight" phase because we have 3 kids (and the toys that come along with 3 kids). So around what age do puppies usually stop chewing everything? We've found and 11 month old and were wondering if he'd still be chewing. Our adoption coordinater suggested that a dog closer to 3-4 yrs of age would be a safe bet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

With mine it lessened after 6 months. With an 11 month old it really depends on the pup - they can still be quite jumpy and bitey. My guy was remarkably mellow for a puppy. He has a buddy at daycare that is a 10-11 month old black lab - I love that dog, but he is still pretty crazy. It's mostly lack of training, but it could be a tough job with young kids. If you go a bit older, you may get an easier transition.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Mine are almost 4 and 6 and still like to chew on their nylabones. The trick is providing and training for the dog to chew on their stuff, not the people stuff.

My puppies/young dogs had that concept down well before 11 months, but they were trained for it. If you get an 11 month old, you will probably have some training to do. May not be for this particular issue, but something certainly.

What I'm trying to say is find a dog/puppy you click with and whose energy level and temperament works for you and be prepared to train through whatever behavior issues you encounter. This possible behavioral concern should not be what makes your decision for you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

there isn't really an age and it depends on the dog. some will be chewers their entire life but with training and redirection (and crating when needed) you can get them to chew the appropriate items (their toys). Some reduce the nuisance chewing as they mature. Other may stop once they stop teething. some never chew!! I wouldn't want to put your hopes up by giving an age only to end up with a surprise if the dog you have keeps chewing beyond that.

I really recommend going with the age range that was recommended to you unless this 11 month old is mellow (it happens, but is rare)
    Last edited by Tanya; 09-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yep, we'll definitely do training, it is in the agreement that we signed when submitting an application that we will bring the dog to obedience training. I already have 2 local places in mind and I'm going to ask our adoption counsellor if she has any opinions on either one. Both are private trainers, not pet stores. I should probably just start with the age range suggested by the adoption counsellor, this pup is just so darn adorable and I wondered if he would work out. She'll be here soon and I'll talk more with her when she arrives to check out our house and see what she says. She did say temperment plays a huge role too. Thanks for the info!

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Possibly never. Teach your kids to put their toys away and train the dog only to chew on appropriate toys.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Possibly never. Teach your kids to put their toys away and train the dog only to chew on appropriate toys.
    I think that training a dog would be easier than training children :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I think that training a dog would be easier than training children :-)
    Absolutely! Kids are something else.

We've decided to gate off the corner of the house where the kids rooms are to keep the dog out at least in the beginning. We'll lock their doors too because I'm sure the dog could clear the gate if he wanted to. All toys have been moved to their rooms and hopefully they will stay there for the most part. At least the tiny things anyway. We started shopping for dog toys this weekend so our dog will have a nice selection of his own toys that we'll rotate so he doesn't get bored.

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

We keep toys in a basket and the dog picks and chooses. One clever guy who used to post here also taught his dog to pick up her toys and put them away.

Our labs have never tried to jump a baby gate though I know thay could. One I used to keep in the kitchen with about an 8" adjustable window screen - not planned it was just handy and it worked. She knew that was her boundary and never challenged it.