Crazy Running Around - Over Tired?????
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Running Around - Over Tired?????

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultCrazy Running Around - Over Tired?????

Molly is a really joy at 15 weeks. She eats well, sleeps well, plays well, has lots of naps, chases the ball, and likes to follow us for walks etc.

PROBLEM????? After her dinner around 6 she just goes NUTS!!!!! She is impossible. She bites our hands when we try to get her to play with a toy, chews all the furniture, will not be distracted to a toy or bone, she goes from one thing to another, jumps up and just drives us crazy. We need to get our own dinner and this is when we are tired and want to settle down so we don't want to be out in the yard with her at this time.

We try to play with her gently in the living room, and take her out to see if she needs to pee but it seems like nothing we do helps this behaviour. We know she's not doing this just to piss us off but we would like to know how to handle this better. We're a bit frustrated as this happens every night. She barks and bites everything in sight....

Is she over-tired from a long day? We do put her in her crate and she goes to sleep but we really don't want her to sleep in the evening because we want her to sleep well at night.

Anyone else have this experience when their puppy is "bad" in the evening after being "good" all day? Is this teething discomfort that she is feeling and she's not able to distract herself in the evening? We did end up sort of tossing her in her crate and she immediately went to sleep but we sure would appreciate any feedback on this early evening behaviour from your experience out there.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

what is your exercise routine?

I am thinking it is either need for more exercise (maybe just before this point) or if they are already getting sufficient exercise, I would say they ned a nap and crate them just before this starts so they sleep
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Haha! We used to call it Sophie in "crack-dog" mode! It didn't seem to matter how much exercise she had, sometimes she would run like a crazy dog, chewing, biting, playing and generally being a pill! She out grew it for the most part. Now once in awhile, she runs like crazy and really fast, through the house, up and over the furniture and around and around! She doesn't do it as often, and the chewing and biting are over. She has learned to chew what is given to her, but we still watch her and don't totally trust her. It is all part of growing up.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, thanks, that's good to hear that it's just a growing up thing.

We've decided that we just need to be more firm. I think we've been angry and keep saying "off" over and over and pushing her away and waving our arms and shoving toys at her and this seems to get her more excited.

This morning she started biting the chairs and sofa again so I grabbed her back skin and shook her (NOT to hurt her!!) but to let her know who is boss, and growled in a very firm way as her mother/father would and said "off" in a very firm voice. She backed right down and I kept moving forward until she was right down on the ground - like Cesar Millan shows how to be calm and assertive and boy she got the message. I fed her in a different way too this morning. I let her sniff her dish, then got her to sit. I stood up and held the dish and waited until she was completely focused on ME. Then I put her food in her crate and let her go in to eat it. We've simply not been firm and calm enough with this excitable little pup. She's so good in every other way except this and I know if we keep working at it she'll get better. But we'll expect some "crazy times" ahead!!!

why do you mention Cesar Milan in ALL your threads. And you never really take any advice, you seem to ask a question then just answer saying you applied Cesar Milan's technique and everything is better.

There are much better trainers and behaviorists then Cesear Milan. It would be to your benifit to expand your reading material.

Well, gee, Tanya! I do take the advice! If someone suggests that I'm not exercising Molly enough and I know I am, I don't think I need to respond to that specifically, do I? If someone else responds that their dog has done the same thing I say thanks and move on - and in this case I stated that I was going to add something else that I'd seen on one of Cesar's shows - is that a no-no here?

And I mention what I'm doing as there might be some other new owner who reads a lot here who could learn something from ME. From what I can see there are many people here who use a variety of techniques. Some I've found helpful and some I don't like. I happen to like Cesar Millan. You don't perhaps? I would not comment on any trainer you happen to like even if you mentioned him/her in every one of your posts.

If I'm going to have to watch what I write and show you that I've "broadened" my reading material and techniques, and that I've "taken the advice" given, maybe I'm on the wrong forum....especially when I see threads about menopause, deodorant, kids pictures and everything under the sun - all fun stuff and it seems everyone is free to put up what they like. Can I be free to do so too?

Soooooooo I'm going to assume you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and put on your hall monitor hat instead of your friendly hat!! I appreciate that you are a senior member and will look forward to your advice in future. Have a great Tuesday, Tanya

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara1 View Post

This morning she started biting the chairs and sofa again so I grabbed her back skin and shook her (NOT to hurt her!!) but to let her know who is boss, and growled in a very firm way as her mother/father would and said "off" in a very firm voice. She backed right down and I kept moving forward until she was right down on the ground - like Cesar Millan shows how to be calm and assertive and boy she got the message. I fed her in a different way too this morning. I let her sniff her dish, then got her to sit. I stood up and held the dish and waited until she was completely focused on ME. Then I put her food in her crate and let her go in to eat it. We've simply not been firm and calm enough with this excitable little pup. She's so good in every other way except this and I know if we keep working at it she'll get better. But we'll expect some "crazy times" ahead!!!
    The trouble with Cesar Millan's brand of dog training is that it is heavily reliant on the concept of dominance. If you watch his shows, he repeats this constantly and attributes virtually all dog behaviors as being about dominance. Its very outdated thought and IMO dangerous for novice dog people to apply to their own pets. Dangerous because if you are always interpreting what your dog is doing as a ploy for taking charge you will always be trying to "show the dog who is boss" and "put them in their place" which usually leads to a less than wonderful relationship with the dog. And one in which the dog has a certainly degree of fear of the people.

I've been training dogs for many years and I find a lot of what CM talks about to be incomprehensible. I really cringe at what novices take away from his shows.

Alpha Rolls and Scruff Shakes are good tools if you want to teach your dog that you are a bully who scares them for no apparent reason. Correcting a dog effectively is difficult as it has to be done in a manner that allows the dog to connect their behavior to the correction. Much easier to reward for positive behavior.

And - the behavior you describe is pretty normal high spiritedness. My dogs do this almost daily. You need to separate the mouthiness from it and work on that behavior alone. But - the "crazy running around" I find one of the more joyous times of the day with my dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks for your detailed response. I won't go into Cesar Millan, mainly because he doesn't seem to be very popular here. I do like him a lot but let's move on...

If you'll be patient, I will describe Molly's behaviour more clearly and ask you more specifically what you recommend.

After her dinner she is ready to rock and roll. She has had lots of exercise outside during the day and at least 3 quite long naps. We get down on the floor and play with her. She has a bone, and several squeaky toys, and some chew toys, and a kong. She also has a large cardboard box which she chews the heck out of and which she just loves to jump in and out of - she even tries to drag it into her big daytime crate. She goes in and out of her crate and has a general good time.

All of a sudden she will bark and start going from one piece of furniture to another and start biting the arms, cushions, then she starts biting our hands when we try to move her away. She also starts to jump up at us. We distract her with a toy but she will NOT be distracted - she goes directly back to where she was just biting and we go round and round. It seems she is just nuts at this point.

So please tell me: when we move her away from the furniture should we give her a treat? should we give her something to eat like fill the Kong with peanut butter? I have been giving her a meaty bone in the afternoons to chew on but should I wait and give it to her at this time instead? Your suggestion to reward good behaviour sounds good but there isn't any good behaviour to reward!!!! She hardly backs off for a second before she's right back biting the couch or the coffee table. So I'm unsure about when to give the treat, I guess.

So, ok BigBrownDog, please put yourself in our shoes and give us at least some ideas....we know this is just a puppy phase but we want to do the right thing NOW so this doesn't become a really unpleasant time of day for us. We're in your hands

Oh, one more thing, I'm sort of reluctant to give too many reward treats because I want to make sure she eats her meals. She eats raw and gets 8oz meat, 2 oz pumpkin, three times per day. Thanks!!!!

It just seems like sometimes your questions are just a set-up for a solution you find (hours after asking the question) with a CM quote.

I don't push any ONE trainer, just that CM's heavy handed techniques are not the best for puppies or the average dog owner that very often applies them incorrectly or with the wrong timing. There are so many great trainers and behariovist that have great techniques that don't includ being rough or a bully with the dog.

If the puppy wasn't harming the furniture I let them have at it. I think it is adorable. Even when my leggy shepherd does it. Some will send them outside to finish their crazy antics. If not, I would opt to use a very high value food or high value toy (one you make important and that is not available to them for long) and get their attention adn ask for something very basic (and very short - quick but on the ground). A bone could potentially work. This is just normal puppy behavior.

Thanks for your response, Tanya. As for answering my own questions - you may be right. Sometimes just getting things down in writing helps me think things through and I find I can come up with something.

As for letting Molly continue biting the chairs and sofa, well, I don't know about that. It's not a habit I want to foster. Anyway, I just took her for a 20 minute walk in the pouring rain to try to walk off some of this energy. She peed, and pooped but did NOT enjoy it as she was afraid of every car that splashed by us - but we persisted!!! Then we came home and she started biting my husband and ran around like a crazy thing again when we were trying to rub her down to dry her off!! So, in the crate she went!!! Devil Dog!!!!!

I can't wait to see what she does at Puppy Class tonight. I intend to send my husband in while I shop at the Walmart! I've had enough of puppy for one day! I had her all day by myself and it poured rain all day so it was not fun....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast