16 week old puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 week old puppy

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

Default16 week old puppy

Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and a new member.

My 16 week old puppy is starting to cause some problems. He is starting to bark more for attention not wanting to stay in his crate. When he is out he is constantly nibbling on our hands and/or legs. My 5 year old daughter today was lightly bit in the face causing a small wound. I do realize he has no intentions to hurt but his teeth on a daily basis cause some damages.

I need help/advice from the senior members to deal with the pup.

1. Stop barking for attention. Especially while we are dining. We always feed him first thus barking with a full stomach.

2. Stop nibbling. He is wonderful and for the most part obedient to his commands, but at times likes to nibble not realizing how much damage he is capable of.

3. His loose stool comes and goes. On a weekly basis he gets upset stomach forcing us to feed chicken and rice. A few days later he leaves drool like gooey stool that cause us to cancel day/night plans.

Thanks for reading and any comments are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Dog toys, lots of toys for distraction and something he can play with. When he nibbles on you or someone else, LOUDLY say "OW" then give him something he can chew on.

Don't let him out of his crate when he is barking, he must be quite to be let out. He will learn a quick one time bark will let you know "I would like out now."
    He is training you right now, I bark like a fiend, you let me out..... and you comply. Smart puppy, lol.

I can't offer advice on the poo, other than possibly something you are giving him is making his stomach upset.

best of luck with your new guy and welcome.

smokey is offline Senior Member

my puppy is just a bit older like a week and a half, his biting has improved so much over the last three or four weeks, he had ruined two of my sons shirts and actually drew blood once (YIKES!) I realize there is a maturity difference between 5 and 7 but, I had to work with my son as much as with the puppy. we consistently say "no bite" and give him something of his to chew. He also responds to "off" when he tries to jump on any one of us, even my 7 year old can tell him off now and he listens. Just consistency and patience and it will pay off. Mine has begun to bark when I crate him for the night, (his crate is in our bedroom) just until I'm in bed and lights are out. If I put him in before I'm absolutely ready to go to bed he has a fuss. I ignore him. He eventually (after a few minutes) lets out a huge sigh and slumps down to go to sleep. Those are just the things that worked for us.

Have you talked to your vet about the upset tummy? for it to come so often would concern me. I had issues in the beginning and after switching to a less rich food we haven't had any more troubles.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Has your puppy been checked for Giardia? May be a possibility where the runny stool is concerned, could also be teething but I would have the vet check.
    Great advice above regarding redirecting the biting, etc! Also, how much exercise is your puppy getting? A tired puppy is a happy puppy! A puppy class is also an invaluable experience for both you and the puppy.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Hello Jay! How long have you had your puppy? Teaching the "don't bite" command needed to be started immediately. Biting is such a normal thing for a puppy, that I found it took longer to teach this command that any of the others...(exept recall, which can be really difficult). What we did was put a hand around Sophie's muzzle and in a stern voice say Don't Bite! We did this every time, didn't let her slide even once, and it still took about a month. My hands and arms looked like swiss cheese! The good news is, at 16 weeks he will start to lose the needle sharp baby teeth and get his big dog teeth. Keep some nice rubber kong bones or antlers for him to chomp on.

The loose stools could be from his food. What are you feeding him? I assume you have had his vet-check and he was deemed healthy at this point. We have had members here that have found some foods too rich for their pup. Blue Buffalo is known to be one that is very rich. Also, some dogs can be sensitive to grains and soy. You aren't giving any table scraps are you? Many owners feed veggie and fruits for treats and some cheese chunks occasionally, what I am talking about is feeding table scraps in general.

Crate barking: Try to have him tired out before you crate him.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Please read the "Our Best Advice" thread at the top of this page. Lots of good info for you there on both these points.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the advices. I have had Chopper for 8 weeks now.

Exercise seems to work beautifully the last two days with the barking for attention, yet occasional unexplained "attack" still persists.

Chopper has tons of toys he seems to be attracted to for a day or two before completely ignores. Stomach problems continues, if we feed him anything other than chicken and rice, although the likelihood is much smaller with the natural choice lamb and rice.

We welcome the challenges of taking care of a new puppy, we just do not have all the answers yet.

Thanks to all for their inputs.

smokey is offline Senior Member

If it helps, I rotate Smokey's toys, I put a few out and then after a few days I take them and give him a few different ones. Might make it more interesting. He still prefers most of the time to look for things that are inapprpriate to chew on, and we redirect! He seems to LOVE the cardboard corners of board game boxes! We had to rearrange the lower shelves of the entertainment center! (empty them is more like it) It's all a learning experience I think, for the puppy and the people! It's nice to know that others have been through it though and hear different things that worked for different puppies.

When my son cries my puppy goes insane! My son just got a new bike and he wiped out, skun his knee and elbow and was crying, Smokey took that as an open invite to chaos, jumping, biting, growling, thought it was playtime. Although he's come a long ways, we have a longer ways to go!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayghf1978 View Post
    Stomach problems continues, if we feed him anything other than chicken and rice, although the likelihood is much smaller with the natural choice lamb and rice.
    What do you mean by this? Are you frequently changing what you feed him? Every change is going to upset his system unless you do it slowly (reducing the old food and increasing the new food over several days). You need to pick one food and stick with it.

If you have done that and I am just misunderstanding you, then a fecal test is in order to rule out Giardia.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Barbara1 is offline Member

Don't know about the food as others will advise you, but I second the cardboard suggestion. We were putting a large cardboard box from the supermarket at one end of a large crate to make it a little smaller for Molly when we first got her - well she started to chew it and now it's one of her favourite chew toys. There is something about the softness of the cardboard that is soothing - yet it offers enough resistance that she gets a bit of a workout. She wrestles with it and drags it all around. And she knows it's not food so doesn't eat it at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast