my new puppy has one blue eye
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my new puppy has one blue eye

sleepyjack is offline Junior Member

Defaultmy new puppy has one blue eye

0901121805a.jpg
    0825121651b.jpg

Is this something that will go away? It's cute, and it does not bother me, just wondering.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Awwww, he's cute. I wouldn't think it would go away. Must be a genetic situation. Maybe some breeders on here can offer up some answers. I would love to know more about it.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Have you had him checked to see if his vision is ok in the blue eye? Blue eyes, other than the baby puppy ones that change color, are not part of labrador genetic make up. There are no colors of labs that have them. An anomally like that is something I'd ask the vet about, just to be on the safe side. One blue eye and one brown are something you see in huskies a lot.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Have you had him checked to see if his vision is ok in the blue eye? Blue eyes, other than the baby puppy ones that change color, are not part of labrador genetic make up. There are no colors of labs that have them. An anomally like that is something I'd ask the vet about, just to be on the safe side. One blue eye and one brown are something you see in huskies a lot.
    This is exactly my concern. Our old Lab(mix) had blue that changed to dark as she aged. And he certainly should not have any husky blood in him. I will ask about this at our next visit, I forgot to ask last time. I think I'll call the breeder too, and see what they have to say about it too.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

did the puppy come with papers? I would be very curious what the breeders on the board have to say about this.

Now, genetics can throw some curve balls, there have been some very interesting mismarked labs out there (from reputable sources adn very much confirmed as pure bred) but I have never seen an eye like that. upon research I read a few where it was the result of an eye injury. but if you got the puppy from a questionable source I would question is he is truely pure bred.

But, he's yours now, and very cute. So just have it checked by the vet and call it a lesson learned (depending on what the "breeder" says).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    did the puppy come with papers? I would be very curious what the breeders on the board have to say about this.
    Funny you should ask. The lady I got him from said that she had to mail them in. Well- I just went to the AKC website and found out that it all could be done online. I have a knot in my stomach about this right now. Yes, he's mine, like you said, and we love him already, but I can't help feeling like I got ripped off now. I am waiting for a call back from the "breeder."
    Last edited by sleepyjack; 09-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

as I said, take this as a lesson learned. next time you opt to go with a breeder for a puppy do some research on what a real breeder is. for example, labs are prone to many health issues, the only way to put the best odds for healthy puppies is to test both parents for a number of these issues. For exampe, x-ray the hips and elbows and submit to OFA for evaluation and only breeding dogs that pass. There are tests for the heart, the eyes, EIC (exercise induced collapse) and CMN (forget what it stands for). They should also prove the parents in a venue. Otherwise, they are just back yard breeders (or worse, puppy mills).

Don't feel bad, we all learn somewhere and in the end, you have a very cute and amazing puppy And hey, blue eye is cool (hopefully it is just coloring and not actually an issue with the eye itself). Definately ask the vet about it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

When we got Sophie, the breeder gave us a packet of papers. It had her pedigree and lineage, and the paper for the AKC registration that was filled out with the breeder's part already done. We also got health clearance papers on her parents, and even on her grandfather. We also pamplets on feeding, and puppy care, along with a paper that said what immunizations and worming she had and when. Did you get any of these papers? The breeder would not be mailing your registration paper in. That is for you to do, since you have to include the fee for the papers. You have a sweet, beautiful puppy and I am sure you will keep him. But...I would not let her get away with this! I would be demanding restitution, and I'd tell her so!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Well, I would have asked about it at the time you purchased the puppy. Did the whole litter have a CERF exam before they went home? If so, there may be a note on the CERF exam form about this. It is called Heterochromia Iridum, and it can be genetic, or caused from an eye injury. I would ask the breeder about the eye exam, or I would take him myself to a certified ACVO ophthalmologist just to be sure, that he can see out of it, or if that eye is injured, or if it is just blue. Interestingly, your puppy *could* also be a chimera.

Edited to add. I send in the registration papers all at once for my puppies, the families can choose a registered name or I can pick one for them. They get a signed form that promises the AKC registration papers or their money back. Limited registration of course. So giving your breeder the benefit of the doubt, maybe they forgot to send in the paperwork and didn't have the reg papers ready when puppies went home. Just ask your breeder, before you panic and think they did something wrong, how they respond will tell you a lot!
    Last edited by Shelley; 09-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.

yes, definately a lesson learned. I really thought I had done the research. I checked to see if the parents were OFA and cerf, and they were. I should have gone to AKC's site.

BTW, I got a call back from the breeder, and he said he didn't know that he had one blue eye. Seriously? WTF??? Oh, and he'll mail me the "papers" on tuesday. Whatever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast