Advice for getting Molly to like the lake

Thread: Advice for getting Molly to like the lake

Spiderjohn is offline Member

DefaultAdvice for getting Molly to like the lake

Hey now,

We are at my folks house and they live on a lake. They have a dog that loves to swim and they have a ramp where the dog can go swimming and get out on its own. I worked with Molly today trying to get her in the water. She really wasn't interested but I put her in at one point to cool her off since it was so hot. She swam well and got out okay once I showed her how. What is the best way to get her to really like the lake? She loves going to the creek but I think the problem is the jumping off the dog. I tried throwing sticks, her ball, etc. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hellosusieqz is offline Member

Awh nothing is cuter than a swimming lab!! It took our pups a little bit to get used to the lakes, too. At first they were hesitant and not really into the whole swimming thing (a lab?? Not wanting to swim?!?!). But we gave it some time and let them get used to it on their own and now we can't keep them out!

The lake we go to isn't a straight drop-off, though. The ground gradually goes into the lake, so we started getting them used to it by walking in the shallow end with the water at our ankles and then going further and further. Bentley LOVES fetching, so once he was used to the feel of the water, all we had to do was throw his ball and he chased it. We started on the shallowest end and started throwing it further and further til he was full-on swimming. Romy naturally loves the water so it wasn't too hard to get her into the lake to swim. We are still trying to get them used to full-on jumping into the water, though. It's something else that I think will just take some time and getting used to.

Is there some way she can gradually get used to the depth and intensity of the lake?

smokey is offline Senior Member

We just took Smokey for the first time and there was no hesitation, not only was he sraight in, he swims under water. I was nervous the first time he went under! But, he did it over and over and he loved it so much!

I agree that if she could walk in on her own rather than having to jump from the dock it would probably be a different story.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

I am always nervous about sticks or rocks protruding and causing an injury. Not to mention fish hooks and or fishing line but I tend to be overly paranoid.

My guy doesn't like to go deep enough for his chest to get wet.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

smokey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ71 View Post
    I am always nervous about sticks or rocks protruding and causing an injury. Not to mention fish hooks and or fishing line but I tend to be overly paranoid.
    Oh, Boy! Now you made me paranoid! Although he was in the same water as my husband and son so if they werent' feeling any that's good.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Jellerz is offline Junior Member

I used to live on an island. When I got my pup I was so excited for her to get big enough to tackle on the beach. Zoey seemed to have missed the memo that she is a lab and is supposed to love water. I took her with my roommates dog that LOVES swimming thinking she would follow him. Nope. She ran from the waves. It took months but we did get her in the water once (the weekend before I moved from the island, go figure). We went in just a little bit with some treats and met her with plenty of praise. If you can do this with a shore I'd try that. It seemed to work well and Zoey seems to like bodies of water a bit more.
    Zoey DOB 10.15.2011

justine is offline Senior Member

It took Abbey three summers to figure out she liked to swim. Keep providing opportunities for your dog to swim and when your dog is comfortable enough, you won't be able to get them out of the water!