Teething, New Teeth Questions

Thread: Teething, New Teeth Questions

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultTeething, New Teeth Questions

How long does teething last? In general when do puppies start to lose teeth? Molly is 15 weeks and has not lost any yet. Once they start to come out do they all start to fall? Should we keep giving her bones to chew on? We don't want to hurt her gums....(we're such newbies...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zonapups is offline Senior Member

My vet said to expect them to start losing teeth between 3 and 4 months. It can last up until 7 or 8 months old before they get their full adult set in. You probably won't notice the tooth loss until you see a big gaping whole in your pups mouth like someone sucker punched the poor pup. That is how we realized our two were losing teeth....of course their was also some minor blood spots on their squishy toys and ropes that led us to realize their was some tooth loss going on in our house...enough to make us no longer want to play tug-o-war with them. We bought a bunch of Nylabones (Flexi-chew) for the pups when we realized they were really teething and chewed up their puppy bones to bits. Just make sure you have plenty of chew toys around for your pup to chew on or they WILL find something else they like to chew on better to relieve the pain of teething.

Good luck!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

I didn't notice when Cassie was loosing her teeth except from one tooth only. We were playing fetch with a Frisbee and when she got it she wouldn't let go so I pulled it (gently) from her mouth and I heard a "crack" ..or maybe it was a "tick" !? Then I saw she was missing a tooth. The tooth was half out by then so I kinda helped to loose a tooth! Stupid me!

I think she was about 4 months old then.

When they loose teeth you won't see them falling. Most of the times they swallowed them.

A good thing to do, is to get some wet towels and froze them in the freezer and give them to them. They ease the pain. They relief their gums. I learned this from someone in this forum. Sorry, I don't remember who was it but I thank him for the tip. It helped Cassie.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I have a few teeth from each one of my girls and when Mo starts losing his, I hope to find a few to hang onto. I can't wait for that day. Those baby teeth are like daggers.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12