Advice request...

Thread: Advice request...

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

DefaultAdvice request...

I think I need some advice; I am a new lab owner and I have a 12 week old male yellow lab. When we are outside playing he is more interested in attaching himself to my pant leg with his teeth. I try to get him to chase after sticks, balls, Frisbees, which he will do a few times then it’s back to my pants and jumping on me. When he does it, I correct him with an off command or a no bite command (whichever one he is doing at the time) then he gets more worked up starts barking and growling. I know it’s not in an aggressive way (I hope).
    I have read here on this forum it most likely is lack of exercise, so I have been bringing him to a big field to run and play, and he does the same thing. I am finding it hard to keep him engaged so I switch it up a bit every day, different toy, and different field etc. I am trying to get him into the lake too but so far he will just stand there shoulder deep in the water. I know he is a baby and hopefully this is a passing phase. But before I get completely frustrated with it I just want to see if I am missing something or if there is something that may work better.

Also want to add, he has already completed a 4 week puppy class and we are currently on a break until the next class starts which will be sometime in the next 2 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

You seem to be doing everything right ! GKC class will help no end - I wouldn't worry about it ! Just keep on diverting him from your pants and eventually it will click !

Try high end treats instead of toys ! You just need to find something that he prefers then direct him to that !

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you are doing things correctly. Lab pups are an energetic lot, and are indeed very mouthy. Are there any other pups he can play with? (being cautious about temperament and vaccinations at this at of course).

At what age did you the pup?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hopehik is offline Member

Yup, tire him out by hiking trails that aren't too steep and let him run. When he's good and tired, time for some leash training with a good treat for a bonus (bits of steak or carrots etc). Pups have alot of energy and he is also teething. I freeze and old cotton sock after soaking in water and let them have it to cool their gums. Be firm if he's constantly nipping their teeth are like needles and hurt. Pups are alot of work but they grow fast so don't get too stressed. Keep in a routine of exercise and leash training daily even for 5 minutes. Teach sit, stay, come, heel all while having a normal tone of voice and with rewards too. Enjoy your pup.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

He's 12 weeks old. His attention span is nothing. Have fun with him and don't expect alot. And sign up for puppy training.

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

I got him at 7 weeks old. I realize now his attention span is like that of a gnats. I will just continue doing what I am and wait for the phase to pass. We are starting puppy class again next week which makes me feel better. Thank you for the reassurance that i am not missing anything.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Your puppy looks at you as his playmate. If you watch the litter interact, they bite each other all the time. If you had another dog, you would see them biting each other constantly, and would only think its normal puppy behavior. So you just became a very large puppy playmate to him. Getting him a little early just reinforced this. So just keep with what you are doing. Our Sophie used to grab my husband's pant legs too. As cute as it is, he resisted the urge to play with her by dragging her around as she hung on to his pants. Instead we just kept up with "don"t bite" and putting our hand around her muzzle. It took about a month for her to figure out the don't bite command. It sure was nice when she quit biting my hands and arms! Puppies have a really short attention span. Just keep reinforcing your training.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye