New dog crate and new puppy

Thread: New dog crate and new puppy

Swinney2407 is offline Junior Member

PostNew dog crate and new puppy

Hello everybody I am new to this , I need a bit of advice, I hq e a 6 month old black lab called bonny , I have only had her a short time and have bought her a crate ,I have been advised that she is crate trained , I have no experience with a crate and just need a few do's and donts or any tips and advice .thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

dont use it for punishment. do use it when you leave the house, and perhaps for sleeping. i'd also keep the crate in your bedroom, if possible.
    leave the door open when you're around, throw some treats in, a toy and let her just go in when she feels like it.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If you aren't sure if she is crate trained try feeding her in it at first and throwing high value treats in for her. Let her go in and out on her own and see how it goes. Don't force her in to the crate and just leave, always make it a positive experience. She will soon go in by her self and it may well become her secure spot that you find her in at random times even though you are home and the crate door is open.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    If you aren't sure if she is crate trained try feeding her in it at first and throwing high value treats in for her. Let her go in and out on her own and see how it goes. Don't force her in to the crate and just leave, always make it a positive experience. She will soon go in by her self and it may well become her secure spot that you find her in at random times even though you are home and the crate door is open.
    I agree! My 9 year old slept every afternoon and every night in his, it is where he wanted to sleep and it was where he went as soon as there was even distant thunder, it was his comfort zone. He didn't need to be crated so the door had been off for years but I couldn't take it away from him, he loved it!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Barbara1 is offline Member

Yes from us too. Molly sleeps in her crate beside the bed, and we move that one into the kitchen - she goes in and out of that when she feels like a snooze as I'm working and puttering around, and we feed her in there. We have another one for the living room and she naps in there or chews a bone, and we put her in it for time-outs, and when we want peace and quiet for watching an evening movie. This stuff she caught onto very quickly and the crates became her "den" very quickly.

Swinney2407 is offline Junior Member

DefaultThank you

Thank you for all your advice , do far so good she has about 2 min whining at bed time but we just ignore her , and bonny is doing well ,

ladylola is offline Junior Member

Out of all my dogs, i had never crate trained any!! Along came Lola and I knew I wanted to crate train her! Our breeder gave us some good tips, never use as Punishment, dont speak to the dog whle in the crate, breeder suggested to cover the crate with a sheet, all worked well for us! To this day, 2 yrs later, Lola loves her crate, the door is now off and she comes and goes as she pleases!
    Melissa & Lola (the Lab)

kromulok is offline Senior Member

I started training Jax at 7 weeks old with his crate. At that young age and early stage of training he cried a lot in it, but eventually that subsided. He is crated every day while we are at work but now that he is 7 months old, he does really well sleeping in our room without a crate. Sometimes on the floor (more so recently) but alot of times in bed - what a bed hog! lol. We love the cuddles tho

In evenings like if it is movie night, he gets a special treat and typically always takes them into his crate where he feels secure that our other dog wont take them from him. He takes his nylabone chews in it all the time as well. We leave the door open at all times - other than when its time to go to work then of course we close it.

Never ever use it as punishment. Even if you are going to use it in a form of punishment (lets say dinner time when you dont want him at the table, i will just say in an excited voice, come on Jax lets go to your crate and put him in it. He is starting to learn that dinner time he belongs in the living room with our other dog so we only had to do that a couple times.

I dont cover my crate, in fact some have found it makes the anxiety level higher in some dogs. Depends on the dog imo.

all in all - he loves his crate, its his den. His space.