Water Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Advice

Dallas12 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWater Advice

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are proud parents of a 9 week old lab. We are in the wonderful time period of crate training and housebreaking. I would like to get everyone's opinion on how much/when to water her. We are on a feeding schedule and of course she gets water then. We do stop the water about 3 hours before bedtime to help w/ crate training. Our issue is that there are days when my husband can be home and he wants to leave to water sitting out for her in our house. I am not so sure about this. My thoughts are the more you drink the more you pee.

Thanks for feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If someone is home with her I would leave access to water definitely in the summer time. I always took my puppies out every hour or so in the first few weeks and had very few accidents. I would stop the water an hour or so before bedtime, 3 hours seems a long time to go without water for a puppy, JMO.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I think the puppy can't learn to hold it if he has nothing to learn to hold.

I have always allowed access, and mine train quickly. As soon as that crate door is open, we make a beeline for the door, followed with " Hurry, make peepee. " For a poo, which I can tell when he needs to go, I use " Hurry, go potty." Worked wonders with Jack, even as an adult he would go on command. Came in handy when we travelled, he would make it quick regardless of where we were. Kayce, potty trained well, but never got the commands. She is beautiful, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. Diesel, we will see. So far he loves for me to get excited when he goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Labbies drink lots of water. We have never restricted water for any of our dogs. We were advised not to restrict water by our vet as well as members on this forum. Sophie trained really easily. Our biggest problem was her "digging the water" in her bowl! We have a pretty good sized bowl and you can hear her in the kitchen digging in the bowl and flooding the kitchen. I don't worry about it, it is cute, and the floor is tile, so it doesn't hurt anything.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

smokey is offline Senior Member

Our biggest problem was her "digging the water" in her bowl!
    That is funny, the first time Smokey did that I laughed so hard, I'd never seen a dog do that, then he stuck as much of his face in as he could. That is when we filled the kiddie pool!

I don't restrict water either, about an hour before bed I put it up until I'm confident that housebreaking is done.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    That is funny, the first time Smokey did that I laughed so hard, I'd never seen a dog do that, then he stuck as much of his face in as he could. That is when we filled the kiddie pool!

I don't restrict water either, about an hour before bed I put it up until I'm confident that housebreaking is done.
    Sophie taught my nephew's pit puppy to dig her water bowl. It was so cute. Sophie had the puppy in the kitchen, dug the water bowl, looked at the puppy, dug at it again.....then she stepped back and Vera (the pit puppy) proceeded to dig the water. My sister said, thanks a lot Sophie!"...Vera still digs her water bowl and that was several months ago that Sophie taught her the joys of water bowl digging!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Go Sophie, lol!! Maxx did that as a very young puppy but hasn't done it for quite some time. I loved it!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Also, if you are putting the water up 3 hours before bed and then puppy sleeps for 7 b 8 hours that is a very long time without water. I could be wrong but I think that is much too long for a puppy to go without water.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I have never restricted water, dogs drink when they are thirsty and it really is not that often or much when they do. If you feel it helps to restrict water x number of hours before bed, I would not do it more than an hour before as he will also go the entire night without. I didn't restrict it with Diesel, but I was willing to get up at 3 or 4 am for a quick pee break until he got to 11 or 12 weeks old and was able to hold it a bit longer... it was a long 4 weeks!!

When someone is with him, he should absolutely have full access to water, a pup in housetraining should be taken out every 40-60min to ensure no accidents, after seeing him drink you may want to take him out 20min or less afterwards until his bladder starts to train itself.

Barbara1 is offline Member

Good advice from all these great people here. For raw feeders it's a bit different - in case anyone out there is new at it: raw food is so moist that puppies fed raw don't drink nearly as much yet they pee just as much. We don't restrict water at all for Molly except about an hour before bed. Sometimes I'll splash her water around a bit to lure her to it and make sure she knows it's there but even then she'll come over for a sniff but doesn't bother to drink. Her poo is nice and firm - much dryer than kibble fed pups, and doesn't smell. I add 2 oz of pure pumpkin to each meal to make sure she doesn't get constipated and it works like a dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast