Puppies and children, need advice

Thread: Puppies and children, need advice

Parcae is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppies and children, need advice

I have a ten week old puppy and a soon to be four year old boy, and we are having some problems. Roffe, our puppy, is making some progress when it comes to no jumping and biting but we can't get him to stop bite and jump up on our son. It often looks like he is trying to get our son to play with him and Roffe gets kind of rough with him. Roffe also crouches down and barks at him like he would at another dog. We tell Roffe no and try to redirect, and I know it's only been two weeks but I want to make sure that we're doing everything we can. I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Our son is 7 and our puppy seemed to target him the most as well. A couple of ripped shirts later, it has subsided for the most part. I had to stay after my son and tell him to say (in a big calm voice) "OFF" or "no bite" which took a while. I think the reactions they get from children make it seem more playful, higher pitched voices and maybe a squeal. I also told my son to stand very still when Smokey was acting up towards him. It didn't last too long. I had my son practice saying "off" for me. It's hard when they are little and want to play with the puppy then they think the puppy is mean when really the puppy IS playing. Keep up what you are doing..redirect, redirect and it will get better. By 13 weeks or so Smokey was a lot better with my son.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

With a 4 year old, you have to be the one who intervenes. It can't be up to your child to control this. You do need to ensure that your child is not doing things to rile the puppy up (and a high pitched little child's voice will naturally cause a puppy to be excitable). I would keep a leash on Roffe when he is in the vicinity of your child and physically remove him from your child when the puppy's play is not appropriate. if he is playing nicely, praise him.

I always develop a code with my dogs where, if I make a certain sound, they know they need to stop right away. Loud, sharp, ACK,ACK,ACK - always gets them to knock off whatever they are doing that I disapprove of.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Leashing and supervising is the way to go. When the puppy gets overly excited and jumps or bites, you have the leash and can control the movements better. Ack! Is a great tool! I used it and still do. They stop dead in their tracks when you loudly exclaim ACK!!!! Your 4 yr old can't control the puppy, so you need to be right there to intervene when necessary. It will get better. By the time the start to lose the baby teeth, a lot of the biting has stopped. Try not to use No as a command. Be specific. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Parcae is offline Senior Member

Thank you all so much. I'll definitely use the leash more often and keep doing what we've been doing; supervising, interfering and redirecting. I couldn't help myself and started worrying about doing everything wrong. I really want to right by my son and my Roffe.

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

And you are! Worry not, in due time they will grow up together and no doubt be best buddies. The puppy stage can be challenging but the result is so rewarding as you well know.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

We've found it helps to teach the child to turn their back on the puppy.

hellosusieqz is offline Member

Keep at it!! I promise if you keep doing what you are doing, this will all pass and Roffe will be best buddies with your son. We had the same fears with Bentley, as he always wanted to engage my 4 year old sister in play the same way. But now, a couple months later and after LOTS of practice and consistency, he is awesome around young children, even those he randomly comes across at dog parks. It will get better, just stay consistent and always supervise...and take the wonderful advice from the amazing Lab vets on these boards. I don't know where I would be without them!