Super excited Molly at the park...need advice

Thread: Super excited Molly at the park...need advice

Spiderjohn is offline Member

DefaultSuper excited Molly at the park...need advice

Hey Now,

So today was the first day I went back to work since getting my 8 month old Molly on Thursday. I came home at lunch and walked her and she did her business. Everything went well and after work I came home and we went to a park for a 2 mile hike. She had a lot of energy which is completely understandable.

At the end of the walk we played in a shallow part of a cold creek. Molly loves the water and is incredibly funny trying to get rocks on the bottom of the creek. We played pretty hard and she was wound up. I thought we had calmed down and we were getting ready to leave the creek when another dog and their owner came to enjoy the cold water.

Molly has been to a dog park several times and doesn't even really seem concerned about other dogs. I was putting on my shoes when Molly jerked the leash and almost knocked me over. She was jumping up and down and trying her best to play with the other dog. She kind of went wild. It was puppy play wild but totally inappropriate. The other owner was a bit concerned but I think she understood. I basically had to hold Molly tight until she got over it. I didn't have the room to back her away without going into the water.
    She wasn't listening to me and nothing I did made a difference.

I figure it was part being crated so long and part being all worked up. How should I handle this in the future? Luckily this is a park where dogs must be on a leash.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

How hard did you play before this happened? How long, what kind of activity/intensity. It could have been just a warm up to her and when she saw the other dog, she was thinking "hey, now I finally get to really play!!" Labs are funny, right when you think you have worn them out enough for them to be calm they suddenly get the "zoomies" and have to burn it off all over again!

It sounds like you could not avoid the interaction, but if she is leashed & going wild when she should be controlled you could try stepping on the leash to hold her down enough that she will realize her efforts to jump & act crazy are futile. I would have also asked the other owner if they wouldn't mind giving you some room as you could not back up. Most dog owners understand puppy behaviour, if they forget, just remind them!

Spiderjohn is offline Member

We had played for about 10-15 minutes pretty hard. She was running around in circles like crazy chasing floating sticks and rocks on the bottom. I am guessing you are right that she was just warmed up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjohn View Post
    We had played for about 10-15 minutes pretty hard. She was running around in circles like crazy chasing floating sticks and rocks on the bottom. I am guessing you are right that she was just warmed up.
    10-15min is definitely just a warm up in the mind & body of a Lab!

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I agree, 10-15 minutes of hard running back and forth is a warm up. For my dog Layla it takes around an hour playing fetch and running around with other dogs for her to take the edge off her available energy. Even then, she can easily go zooming around for another hour.

I would definitely try to get more exercise in, but I would also put a little training in. Figure out how far away your dog can handle another dogs presence then put your dog in a sit just outside that distance. Praise your dog for their sit and repeat. Slowly work your way closer and closer to the other dog. A good way to work on this is to walk around the neighborhood and find yappy dogs outside of tall fences. Try not to linger too long in front of any one fence...you don't want to piss off any owners.

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    Figure out how far away your dog can handle another dogs presence then put your dog in a sit just outside that distance. Praise your dog for their sit and repeat. Slowly work your way closer and closer to the other dog. A good way to work on this is to walk around the neighborhood and find yappy dogs outside of tall fences. Try not to linger too long in front of any one fence...you don't want to piss off any owners.
    Sorry, I'm really tired, lol. Do you do this with Layla? I get what you are saying about distance training and think it is an interesting approach, I'd like to try it with Diesel as he can be too reactive with some dogs, but would be concerned about the interaction antagonizing the other dog (behind the fence) so the exchange of energy might be off. I guess it would be the same if you could find another owner/dog to work on this with, gradually getting closer? Again sorry, tired, not trying to be argumentative!

In any case agree that training with respect to interaction with other dogs would be beneficial, but also just training of any kind to stimulate the mind in addition to physical exertion.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Sorry, I'm really tired, lol. Do you do this with Layla? I get what you are saying about distance training and think it is an interesting approach, I'd like to try it with Diesel as he can be too reactive with some dogs, but would be concerned about the interaction antagonizing the other dog (behind the fence) so the exchange of energy might be off. I guess it would be the same if you could find another owner/dog to work on this with, gradually getting closer? Again sorry, tired, not trying to be argumentative!

In any case agree that training with respect to interaction with other dogs would be beneficial, but also just training of any kind to stimulate the mind in addition to physical exertion.
    Yes, I do do this with Layla. I thought about the implications of me 'antagonizing' the other dogs. I have come to the conclusion that I am not antagonizing the other dog. At best the other owner is leaving a dog with a lot of pent up energy outside alone. There are plenty of dogs that run back and forth and bark around town so Layla and I don't ever linger too long at any one place. A couple sits maybe. We linger for about a minute or two at the most I think.

What I don't get a lot of work with is with other well behaved dogs on leash while walking. Layla gets a lot of interaction with well behaved off leash dogs in the woods and in the dog park. I haven't figured out how to remedy that.

FLMike is offline Member

. A good way to work on this is to walk around the neighborhood and find yappy dogs outside of tall fences. Try not to linger too long in front of any one fence...you don't want to piss off any owners.
    I do this also. On one of walking routes (my nieghborhood has a bunch of bicycle/walking trails that criss-cross between streets) we pass a house with three yappy dogs that run to the wooden fense and bark like crazy. The owner never tries to stop them so they are my training aids. I put our girls in a sit and stay and wait them out. They eventually realize they are not going to run our girls off and stop. It gives me a great opportunity to teach our girls to be calm while other dogs are going crazy.

Yes, I do do this with Layla. I thought about the implications of me 'antagonizing' the other dogs. I have come to the conclusion that I am not antagonizing the other dog. At best the other owner is leaving a dog with a lot of pent up energy outside alone. There are plenty of dogs that run back and forth and bark around town so Layla and I don't ever linger too long at any one place. A couple sits maybe. We linger for about a minute or two at the most I think.

What I don't get a lot of work with is with other well behaved dogs on leash while walking. Layla gets a lot of interaction with well behaved off leash dogs in the woods and in the dog park. I haven't figured out how to remedy that.
    I see, sorry, I missed the word "yappy" describing the kind of dogs behind fences you did this with.