Molly afraid of rain

Thread: Molly afraid of rain

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultMolly afraid of rain

Today's the first rain day we've had since we brought Molly home. She had her first morning, and second morning poops before the rain started.

But now she will not go out. So I've had to carry her, drag, run, lure, and push and prod her to her "spot" in the corner of the yard for poop and pee - BUT SHE HAS NOT GONE ONCE SINCE THE RAIN STARTED. She ate about 2 hours ago and I know she at least has to pee. I let her go back to the house, then run like a mad fool making happy happy noises and scooting her along back to the spot but once she gets there she lowers her head and cowers because of all the rain drops on the trees making noise etc. So back and forth, back and forth, me trying to make this a happy dance....not.

Any suggestions? Should I keep trying to happy dance her out there? Should I drag her? Carry her? Try every half hour? With all this back and forth she's gone to sleep but I sure need to try again when she gets up so I need suggestions ASAP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't make such a big deal out of going out there, unless she goes then you can praise and treat her. Making a big deal over something she is fearful of just reinforces the fear. If you just go about it as you normally do and not pay any attention to her being afraid you may have better success. My Emma will hold it for a whole day if it is raining because she hates the rain. Maxx on the other hand will stay outside in the rain for hours if you would let him.

ETA -I would just keep trying to take her out every hour or so. Evenutally she will go! Do your best not to get frustrated, they pick up on that so easily. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I wouldn't make such a big deal out of going out there, unless she goes then you can praise and treat her. Making a big deal over something she is fearful of just reinforces the fear. If you just go about it as you normally do and not pay any attention to her being afraid you may have better success. My Emma will hold it for a whole day if it is raining because she hates the rain. Maxx on the other hand will stay outside in the rain for hours if you would let him.

ETA -I would just keep trying to take her out every hour or so. Evenutally she will go! Do your best not to get frustrated, they pick up on that so easily. Good luck!
    This^^

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well it took from 11:30am when she had her lunch until 9:30 at night for her to poop - and we took her to her spot minimum every hour. Eventually she did go thank heaven. Same thing this morning. She woke at 5:15 after sleeping great in her crate for 7 hours. Unfortunately the neighbour's truck starting up scared her so she took ages to pee then it took her 1/2 hour of treats and running up and down to poop in the wet ivy corner - as it's another rainy morning. But she did go finally.

We will be patient and we'll beat this thing - with lots of treats, lots of love for this poor little baby!!!!

Samson is offline Senior Member

Buy a brolly for her ? :-)

yeah, so how do I hold one end of the leash, the flashlight, treats, the brolly, my sanity, and my patience all with two hands?