Separation Anxiety

Thread: Separation Anxiety

Iliyana is offline Junior Member

DefaultSeparation Anxiety

We just brought our puppy Lalie home yesterday and except for the potty mistakes (which are understandable at her age) she's really well behaved except in one area. She comes when we call her and will follow us around but she lets out the most unholy racket any time we put her in her pen. It's about 3' x 3' and it doesn't matter if she can see us or not, or even if we're in there with her or not, she starts whining and then barking and then comes that cute puppy almost yodel noise.

It breaks our hearts and we feel like the most horrible people on the planet. We waited until she was quiet for about 20 seconds and then let her out. We would rather use the pen than a crate when we're not home so that she has room to play when we're out of the house (until she's potty trained).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Should we be using the crate instead? My husband works from home so it's not like we're going to leave her alone for 8 hours at a time, but we still thought a pen would be better.

2. In either case, how long do we wait until she's quiet to let her out? Both as in, what do we do if she won't be quiet and how long do we wait while she is quiet to let her out.

She sleeps in a box next to the bed for now, she can actually reach up and touch the edge of the bed and last night while she did wake me up quite a few times, she didn't bark or whine even when I told her "No, go to sleep", but I don't want to let her get away with not staying inside the pen just because it makes me feel like a horrible, mean person ... it's just really hard. In addition, we're in a townhouse kind of layout where we have a yard out back but we do share two walls with people and we don't want too many noise complaints. Because of this we want to try and get her used to the pen during the day but basically we can't leave the house at the same time right now.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would say to use the crate. A crate should be only large enough for her to stand and turn around. The pen might encourage her to poop and pee in the pen, and therefore; in the house. This is confusing to a puppy being trained to go outside. You can also carry the crate to your bedroom at night. The box she's in will only work for a short time before she starts to eat the box, or jump out of it.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I came to the same conclusion tonight. I went to bed about 3 hours ago and have spent most of it just trying to keep her from jumping out. In her defense though, I didn't recognize that she needed to go outside and relieve herself. There was a great effort to get out and then a strange noise and the smell of poo.

I thought we bought the same food as the breeder was using but maybe we bought a different line of food because everything is very wet.

I feel really badly now but I just don't know how to tell the difference between "I want out of this enclosure just because" and "I really need to go!"

I felt even more guilty because she wasn't upset with me at all, she just wanted to finish doing her thing, play some and pass out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If the poop is on the thin side, and your puppy isn't sick and you think its the food, etc....you can give her some canned pumpkin. Get the kind that says pure pumpkin, not the pie filling. You can give her a good sized spoon full a couple of times in a day, and chances are by the next day, she'll be pooping normally. It also works for constipation. It just levels things out.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Oh my gosh I could just about cry with relief. We bought a wire crate yesterday, the kind with the moving divider so that we can limit her space as a puppy. She whined and howled (yodeled) a little bit, maybe for about 5 minutes, and my husband nearly broke and took her out (the crate is right next to our bed) but I told him no way, we can't do that on the first night we put her in there! Eventually she settled down and we all got to sleep. Sleep! Lovely, lovely sleep.

She actually held it through the night and didn't eliminate in her crate. She did however pee on me while I was carrying her outside, hehe. It was a valiant effort! She was so excited to see me that she wasn't even interested in the water and food when I set it down, she just wanted love.

Yay crate!

Oh! AND as an added bonus, yesterday her stool was like water but this morning it firmed up finally! Only a little bit of wet. So all in all, last night was a great night!

Thanks for all of your help!

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Good to hear and just remember, the 1st few weeks of puppy ownership are the hardest with crate training, getting up to take them out and such but once that phase is gone it is all gravy. The extra effort one puts in now really pays off very shortly. Years of having a loyal good friend.

Spiderjohn is offline Member

My puppy has no separation anxiety but I sure do. I couldn't wait to get home to her today. What's the best way to deal with this?

*laugh* I fixed that by coming home during lunch.