Hungry hungry puppy

Thread: Hungry hungry puppy

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHungry hungry puppy

Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and a new member.

Even before getting Chopper I was fully aware that labradors have enormous appetite. The always hungry nature is a double edged sword that although great for training with food, a compete disaster when trying to stop him from eating everything.

Whenever we go out for walks my main concern becomes stopping him from chewing mulch, wind, carcasses, grass, plants, shoes, among many other thing. I find myself constantly digging stuff out of his mouth and shouting out "leave it". The two weeks I had a muzzle for him he was tumbling and stumbling without much effort to go to bathroom.

There is got to be a better way, is there?

Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Puppies are all paws and mouths. Mo is 7 weeks and can twist himself into quite the pretzel and is always falling over his feet. It does get better as they get bigger and they are notorious for putting all kinds of things in their mouths. You have to constantly keep an eye on them. It WILL get better as they get older. Keep pulling things out of his mouth and telling him NO. When Mo bites me, I yell OUCH and it is enough to startle him to stop. I offer him something else to chew on and then praise him for using that instead of me....or the couch....or the ottoman....or the kitchen chair LOL.

Good luck and welcome to the board

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayghf1978 View Post
    Hi, I'm Jay, a new dog owner and a new member.

Even before getting Chopper I was fully aware that labradors have enormous appetite. The always hungry nature is a double edged sword that although great for training with food, a compete disaster when trying to stop him from eating everything.

Whenever we go out for walks my main concern becomes stopping him from chewing mulch, wind, carcasses, grass, plants, shoes, among many other thing. I find myself constantly digging stuff out of his mouth and shouting out "leave it". The two weeks I had a muzzle for him he was tumbling and stumbling without much effort to go to bathroom.

There is got to be a better way, is there?

Thanks for reading.
    How old is he? If he's leashed, and he should be until he is thoroughly trained, ths should not be so hard to control. I'm not sure I understand exactly how he is getting into so much trouble.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Barbara1 is offline Member

Gee, I sure understand how he's getting into so much trouble! Molly is just like that. What do you mean by leashed? Do you mean tethered to the person? We tried tethering to us and she just would not move and I could not see dragging her around the house as a good option - that it would teach her to have the leash. When we're in the kitchen she pretty much runs around and chews whatever and we redirect to toys. When we're in the living room same thing except there are all the wires to contend with so we redirect there to. So Jay has the same difficulties as we do. BigBrownDog, could you please help us both out with some specific ideas??????

Of course here I mean inside - outside the dog should be on the leash at all times except to play ball or something.

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

When walking I either go to a state park and let max run off his leash. HR is usually too excited to stop and eat bad stuff
    When walking on streets we find quiet low traffic streets and walk down the middle as all the junk is at the curb.

This is what works for us. Your mileage may vary
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It sounded like the OP was referring to outside, unless there is mulch and carcasses inside! Of course outside, if the pup is getting into that much trouble, it should be on a leash. My ppups were off leash a lot outside but grass was as about as bad as they got into...except for the deer and bunny poop. For me, tossing a bumper redirected their attention.

As far as inside, the house needs to be as Puppy proofed as possible, so that the wires, for example are not accessible to the pup. I put expens around areas where I could not other wise hide wires. If I could not directly supervise a pup that was being mischievous, I would crate it, or put into an expen (I have my expens rigged so that they cannot collapse).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    It sounded like the OP was referring to outside, unless there is mulch and carcasses inside! Of course outside, if the pup is getting into that much trouble, it should be on a leash. My ppups were off leash a lot outside but grass was as about as bad as they got into...except for the deer and bunny poop. For me, tossing a bumper redirected their attention.

As far as inside, the house needs to be as Puppy proofed as possible, so that the wires, for example are not accessible to the pup. I put expens around areas where I could not other wise hide wires. If I could not directly supervise a pup that was being mischievous, I would crate it, or put into an expen (I have my expens rigged so that they cannot collapse).
    Agree 100%. We've all been through the puppy stage & know how mischievious they can be. Step up the supervising & it shouldn't be that much of an issue.