Poop Time or Play Time?

Thread: Poop Time or Play Time?

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultPoop Time or Play Time?

First thing in the morning when I take Molly out to pee/poop, she pees right away but then wants to chew every branch in sight and not poop. If she hears a car go by out on the street she wants to run back to the back door. Her spot is in a corner of the back yard in an ivy covered, treed, dark place with mosquitos galore, and I'm not too thrilled that it takes 15 minutes to get her to poop - especially as I'm in my jammies holding a flashlight!!!! It seemed like a good place to use when we got going with this.

Question #1: should I throw the ball and play with Molly to stimulate her bowels? Or should I be stern and make her stay in her "spot" until she goes? I don't want to make this time negative but I don't want her to get distracted either. I will, of course, put in the time but want to know what's the best thing to do.

Question #2: eventually we want her to pee and poop on her early morning walk. Should we bring some of her poo to the front of the house near the sidewalk and then start bringing her THERE and get her used to going in this new spot first thing?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara1 View Post
    Question #1: should I throw the ball and play with Molly to stimulate her bowels? Or should I be stern and make her stay in her "spot" until she goes? I don't want to make this time negative but I don't want her to get distracted either. I will, of course, put in the time but want to know what's the best thing to do.
    I personally would (and do) throw the ball or play with them to get them to move. Movement helps them go. They may not have to go so it can be hard (especially as babies) to "force"themself to go (especially when there is tons of fun stuff to do!) . And I would start associating the word to it (pick any word) and signal when she poops "good hurry! good hurry!" Once you get a command to the action it will help wtih your second question

As they get older sometimes they'll skip a morning poop, my guy is fairly consistent but some days he just doesn't have to go in the morning so he holds it in until night. Thankfully the pup at 7 months is quick to get all their business over with the second we step out the door !

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara1 View Post
    Question #2: eventually we want her to pee and poop on her early morning walk. Should we bring some of her poo to the front of the house near the sidewalk and then start bringing her THERE and get her used to going in this new spot first thing?.
    OMG! LOL! You could not pay me to try this myself! I wouldn't recommend it.

ETA: Note that the puppy probably NEEDS to run around a little in the am. so I would encourage them to do so.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Barbara1 is offline Member

thanks for your response...I guess we just got so used to our other sweetie, Belle, who used to go so regularly right out of the box, then a second time around mid-day on her walk. This little muggins does her business early, mid-morning, again around noon, then again after supper! I guess the answer as you say is to go ahead and plan to be out there for awhile - jammies and flashlight or not - and just relax about the whole thing. I'm an older woman and not as spry in the early morning as I used to be!!!!! Once I limber up with a strong cup of java I move a little quicker!!!! I have a feeling Molly is going to get me spry in a hurry - and that's a good thing eh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I have Diesel sort of trained to poop/pee on command. When you see Molly about to pee say the word "pee" or whatever word you want to stimulate her to go, same for poop. Then praise her when she is finished. Sometimes it takes some movement to get his bowels going, but if it is pouring rain or really cold out I will say a barrage of "poop. poop. poop." to Diesel until he goes & you can tell by looking at his face the word "poop" has registered & he is working his way to it. If I didn't prompt him I could be out there for hours!!