Phermone Collar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phermone Collar?

Barbara1 is offline Member

DefaultPhermone Collar?

Our new puppy is quite fearful of noise from planes, cars, neighbours etc. and it's stalling our training in the front yard, leash training etc. The vet recommended a pheromone collar and we put one on Molly tonight. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Is it harmful? We realize it's a synthetic product that mimics their mother's hormones but we sure hope it helps calm her enough so we can get her going. Any comments welcome. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I have never used one, I did find the following on WebMD that might be helpful. Pet Pheromone Products for Behavior Problems: Do They Work?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

if it is the one I am thinking of, yes I tried it. I didn't see any significant improvements. i do think some have had sucess with it. it doesn't last very long (30 or so days?) and was pretty expensive. It seemed pretty safe as far as I know.

many members have had some level of success with the Thunder Shirt though. (I haven't had to try it)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks for comments. We put the collar on her last night. She slept from 9:45 to 6 this morning without any problems but that may have been because she had her boosters and her Revolution treatment yesterday at the vets - that can make them a bit tired....we'll see. We don't want to sedate her, of course, just want to calm her a tiny bit so we can take her out in the front more - and get her over this fear of cars etc.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are you also working on desensitisation and increasing her confidence?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

smokey is offline Senior Member

My old dog was terrified of thunderstorms, we tried the pheremone collar, it didn't work for him, I'm concerned that your vet would have you use one for such a broad spectrum and for such a young puppy. I agree with Tanya work on desensitization, sit with her in the front yard and don't expect anything from her but to sit with you and maybe play some and give her treats. Whatever you do when you sense she is fearful, don't react. Don't try to soothe her, act like nothing happened. If you try and comfort her she will be rewarded for being fearful. How old is she? my puppy startled easily for the first couple of weeks he was with us and now he investigates everything!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    are you also working on desensitisation and increasing her confidence?
    I would encourage this^^

Tools like this and thundershirts are great for helping to get over a hump, but should never be used in place of training techniques and relied upon as "bandaid" solutions.

As well, I hope if you do continue to use this collar that she is not wearing it while unsupervised -- especially while crated.

Oh yeah, we're working very gently with her to get her used to all the noises especially cars and pick-ups that go by. My DH has her out there at least 4-5 times each day. She's getting slightly better but still is not liking it too much - we'll keep at it. It's really too hot to have her out for very long but we're out there for 5-8 minutes at a time. We'll get there. The vet suggested we keep the collar on all the time and get another one for a second month too.

smokey is offline Senior Member

Good Luck with her! I bet if you keep at it she will do well! I've been taking my puppy out in the rain/thunder with me so that I don't (Hopefully) end up with the thunderstorm fear again.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

There are cases of puppies choking to death because a collar gets caught in the crate (or somewhere in the house, or unsupervised in a yard) when no one is home/able to hear the pup in distress & release it. I'm surprised your vet recommended it remain on all the time. I take what my vet says into consideration when it comes to training, nutrition, and behavioural situations, but I don't hold it as gospel, puppies can get themselves into some mighty strange predicaments!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast