Getting my puppy to love his crate!

Thread: Getting my puppy to love his crate!

Nutshell is offline Member

DefaultGetting my puppy to love his crate!

I have a 9 week yellow male who is very smart and the puppy training is going very well. I'm noticing he hates his crate. I now have to put him in the crate and shut the door quickly. I put toys, chewies, treats, a t shirt of mine and a bear with a heatbeat in the crate and he still wants nothing to do with going inside. I have crate trained a rottie pup a few years ago and she didn't "love" her crate but she didn't hate it. I know I need to make it a good place and a safe haven for him and I'm afraid he will view it as a punishment. I put him in at bedtime, about 11-11:30 and he puts up a fuss but eventuall quiets down. I let him out around 3AM and when I get up at 6 he is released to roam the house...usually winding up in bed with my wife for about 30 minutes before she gets up. He goes back in at 8:30 AM when we leave, he is let out for 30 minutes at noon for lunch and a bathroom break. My wife is home at 3:30 and he has free raom of the house unitil bed time. Am I expecting too much too soon? Will he eventually like the crate or is there something I am doing wrong. Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Feed him in his crate, through treats in his crate that he has to go in and get. Since he isn't playing with the toys(which I wouldn't put ones in he can chew up and swallow), when he gets in give him a treat. Make the crate positive.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Don't expect too much too soon, he is a baby.

Be cautious what you put in his crate -- I would not put any toys in there that can be destroyed, only put durable ones like a Kong etc. Nothing that can be ingested, I would take your shirt out as well.

Don't read too much into his behaviour at this point, and don't adjust his crate time fearing he is not liking it, he will get used to it if you keep things consistent. The only way he would feel his crate is a bad place is if he has done something (like potty inside) and you put him in there as punishment.

Just place him in his crate & walk away, ignore the whining, etc. Don't make a big deal of it & he won't be able to react to it. Cute pup btw!!

ETA -- and never leave a collar on him when he is unsupervised, especially when crated! I noticed a yellow tie around his neck in your siggy
    Last edited by Diesel_Dawg; 08-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nutshell is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    Don't expect too much too soon, he is a baby.

Be cautious what you put in his crate -- I would not put any toys in there that can be destroyed, only put durable ones like a Kong etc. Nothing that can be ingested, I would take your shirt out as well.

Don't read too much into his behaviour at this point, and don't adjust his crate time fearing he is not liking it, he will get used to it if you keep things consistent. The only way he would feel his crate is a bad place is if he has done something (like potty inside) and you put him in there as punishment.

Just place him in his crate & walk away, ignore the whining, etc. Don't make a big deal of it & he won't be able to react to it. Cute pup btw!!

ETA -- and never leave a collar on him when he is unsupervised, especially when crated! I noticed a yellow tie around his neck in your siggy
    The yellow tie around his neck was from the breeder, gone now. Thanks for the advice. I believe he is still adapting to his new surroundings and I feel he has done really well. You're right, it's about consistency. I may start feeding him in the crate.

brody is offline Senior Member

i am a huge proponent of shaping cover luring - nowhere is this more evident then in crate training ..i think I blogged about it with a foster dog many years ago ... let me check ...
    probably is there somewhere - but I found a puppy one ... here is the link to crate training search on my blog Agility Addict: Search results for crate training the first one pretty clearly outlines the method ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller