Shy Puppy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shy Puppy

SLindley is offline Junior Member

WinkShy Puppy

My family and I recently (about 3 weeks ago) adopted a 12 week old yellow lab from a horrible backyard breeder. He was the last of a litter, and basiclly thrown into a back yard and forgotten about. We rescued him from a really bad situation. When we got him, he had worms worse than any dog I've ever seen, and fleas so bad that you could see more fleas than hair.

He is the sweetest boy, but due to a lack of socialization when he was younger, he is EXTREMEMLY shy. It took a lot of work for me to get him to come to me, but he now knows his name, come, sit, stay, and heal (for me). He still won't come to my husband. He's so smart and so loving when he does come up to you. He's also already 90% housetrained.

I took him to petsmart a few days ago and he was so scared he laid down and FROZE. I had to sit on the floor in the doorway with him for 5 min coaxing him to get up and walk to me. Once he did he was fine.

The same is true for his first park trip yesterday. He was very timid and shy around the children, but he did let them pet him. Mostly he just wanted to hide behind me.

Any ideas to break him out of his shell would be greatly appreciated. He's such a great dog and I know he's got so much personality to show off, he's just very unsure of himself. We don't have any "puppy kindergarden" classes locally, although I will be signing him up for training classes at petsmart next month.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Thank You for saving him! Poor baby! I don't have any advice, but am sure you will get some good tips here from experienced people. I think his being so young is on your side. He may still need time to adjust to a stable loving environment. Good Luck and keep us posted.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would talk to a trainer and look at maybe a puppy class. you need to go slow, to overdue will make him more fearful. but at the same time you want to slowly push him and expose him to new things and people. reward the little independant steps.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Since you've only had him 3 weeks, it sounds like he has learned quite a lot in a short time. He may always be a little shy, but as time goes on, and he learns to trust, it will get better. I would just introduce new things and people very slowly. Petsmart and other public places may be a little stressful for now. I would walk him where you might run into a person or dog or two, but not a bunch like at a store or park. Trust is the main thing. It seems as if he has bonded to you and trusts you. Talk to him. They are smart and you'd be surprized hat how much they understand what you say. Praise him a lot. Treat him a lot as well. Good luck, and thank the Lord you saved this little guy!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

He has learned alot since we've had him. I work 12 hour shifts, but when I'm not at work, I have him at my side pretty much constently. I keep him "teathered" to my belt in the house to avoid accidents, and I take him with me pretty much everywhere I go. I think that's why he does better with me than my husband.

I thought about taking him to a large walking track, and as we were walking...just staging people he doesn't know around with some of his favorite treats so he can learn that meeting new people is a good thing?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

me again
    first - I would not force the puppy to get pet. let him slowly come around to people on their own, have them toss a treat gently and ignore him til he comes around. then treat by hand.

if petsmart is your only option for training that's fine but do look to see if there are training schools or other trainers around. Some petsmarts have less than knowledge trainers (who took maybe a quick course on how to train the class and that's it). There are exceptions and sometimes one does find a good trainer there but that wouldn't be the norm.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    me again
    first - I would not force the puppy to get pet. let him slowly come around to people on their own, have them toss a treat gently and ignore him til he comes around. then treat by hand.

if petsmart is your only option for training that's fine but do look to see if there are training schools or other trainers around. Some petsmarts have less than knowledge trainers (who took maybe a quick course on how to train the class and that's it). There are exceptions and sometimes one does find a good trainer there but that wouldn't be the norm.
    I've looked around. Other than PetSmart, the closest training schools are 1.5 hours away. We live in a podunk little town. LOL. Haven't even had a PetSmart long.

smokey is offline Senior Member

I live in a very rural area. I found a couple of trainers that do group obedience classes as part of the Community Education Programs at the local schools...maybe you could find something like that near you? One of these actually trains service dogs and comes very highly recommended. And I found the price very reasonable, 7 weeks for $80. Maybe your vet could give you the name of a trainer?
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Ask your vet if he/she knows of area trainers. Also, have you tried socializing the puppy to your husband first. Have him talk to him and spend time with him, give him treats and toys etc. Also, have your husband next to you when you are with the puppy. When he is tethered to you, have your husband close by. Once he is used to him and seems happy with him, move on to other people. What's your puppy's name? How about some pictures? Where are you located?
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 08-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I told my husband he needs to do the same things with him when he's home that I do with him.

His name is Saban.
    We live in Alabama (go figure )
    And I'm at work, so I can't post any pictures of him right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast