Why become a dog owner?

Thread: Why become a dog owner?

Jayghf1978 is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhy become a dog owner?

Hi, I'm Jay, a new owner and a new member.

A popular question I have been receiving is why become a dog owner. Having a dog requires much of your time to train, to care, and to associate to reach that ultimate bond between the family and the animal. For us this might not be about the father/mother instincts we are looking to fulfill, or journey of friendship we are set to sail. For us the excitement of the new challenges we are embarking might be what we have been looking for and hopefully found with Chopper.

We are in our thirties, with everything around us stable and uneventful. For years we have been trying to find the next fuel to keep the fire going. Career is secure and affluent, kids are on track with their education, at this point we are a bit bored with our lives. We tried many things to spice up our days, including convertible, vacations, dancing lessons, among many other popular hobbies normal couples sign up for.

In comes chopper, the naughty little guy that we just cant seem to have enough. He has been above our expectations at this point, with much more we have yet to experience. Never have I realized the joy and addictions that come with being a "father" to a dog. It has been a fun journey to this point and we are hungry for more.

Why become a dog owner? Because at this point can't imagine not being a dog owner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

I love it!! And there are "dog owners" that just don't get it, when you treat them right, what you get in return is so rewarding!!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It's hard to put into words....it is an affair of the heart.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Oh my, why become a pet owner.....love, unconditional full tilt boogie furry butt wiggling love!

A previous boy friend once asked why I treated my dog, Jack, so well.
    My reply set him back.
    When I have a bad day and come home in a bad mood, Jack doesn't care.
    He greets me every day the same way, bright eyes, all excited.
    He doesn't care if I pout, or grump at him....
    He continues to show me he loves me and he is happy to see me.
    He doesn't take it personally and assume I am mad at him.
    He just wags his tail, smiles at me as only he could do....
    Ten minutes of unconditional love and I am a changed person.

And on the RARE occassion Jack did something naughty,
    even though he greeted me all happy, then remembered the naughty act,
    while he sat on the rug, awaiting me finding what made him look guilty,
    he watched me with adoring eyes, gently wagging just the tip of his tail.
    His own way of saying I am sorry... but I LOVE YOU!

If only people took lessons from dogs.....

zonapups is offline Senior Member

I became a dog owner because my husband wanted a dog. I told him he couldn't have a dog until he bought me a house with a nice big backyard.....well.....he bought me a house with a nice big backyard in the neighborhood I wanted to be in. So we got TWO puppies. I have since fallen in love with them and can't see not having them in our home. They are my children now and I just can't see life without them. I would move heaven and earth for them. I would drop thousands on them if they needed the medical care to stay with us. If they want a toy I would get it for them without hesitation. If a new collar looks totally cute I would go out and buy it for them even if their current collar is still in good shape....in other words....THEY ARE SPOILED! I can see how expensive having the human variety will be when that time comes around.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Oh....and why I became a pet owner other than the above....COME ON! How can you not love those CUTE ADORABLE FACES even when they have been sooooooo bad. Always makes my day soooo much better seeing them wag their tails in happiness to see mommy home from a hard days work.

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

Quote Originally Posted by zonapups View Post
    I became a dog owner because my husband wanted a dog. I told him he couldn't have a dog until he bought me a house with a nice big backyard.....well.....he bought me a house with a nice big backyard in the neighborhood I wanted to be in. So we got TWO puppies. I have since fallen in love with them and can't see not having them in our home. They are my children now and I just can't see life without them. I would move heaven and earth for them. I would drop thousands on them if they needed the medical care to stay with us. If they want a toy I would get it for them without hesitation. If a new collar looks totally cute I would go out and buy it for them even if their current collar is still in good shape....in other words....THEY ARE SPOILED! I can see how expensive having the human variety will be when that time comes around.
    LOL, am totally there! Used to take Jack shopping at Petsmart, he would sniff out toys and raw hides.... and in the cart it would go. He liked it, I bought it. At fairs, he sniffed in the direction of something yummy... he got it! At the baseball park, on Bark in the Park day, he was eyeballing someones elephant ear.... you guessed it, we walked across the whole stadium to get Jack his own! He was so cute with powdered sugar in his whiskers, LOL.

When he was diagnosed with cancer, I spared no expense. Had a mobile vet come out, had surgery done in the back yard, in a large RV. I let him go to rest in my home, paid for a housecall, then in my final act of spare no expense, I had a pet cremation service come to the house, with a little white coffin. I drove him to the service and stayed with him the whole time for a private cremation. I saw him go in, saw him come out, and I brought him home just a few hours later. No amount of money I would not have paid for Jack.
    As my own grown children will tell you, Jack was and still is, Mom's Favorite!

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I became a dog owner because I love my kids and wanted them to have a better life than I did. Before getting a dog I hated dogs, but I loved my kids more so I got one. Now, Layla is my dog. The kids play with her and pick up her poo, but I am Layla's person. I got Layla for the kids to make their lives better, but she has made me a better person. I used to get so angry, but in raising a dog I learned so much about letting it all go. A dog doesn't understand anger. It doesn't make sense to them. A dog doesn't have to hang out with you or associate with you or lie at your feet. You have to earn it.

Mike Richards is offline Senior Member

Could not imagine life without a Dog. It started when i was a wee lad, my nan had a border collie called Mickey who use to play ball with me, ever since i wanted my own. How did i know then what it means owning your own dog. The way they light up the house only a true Dog owner will know, the companionship when I'm by the Lake for the weeks fishing or on the beach watching him drool while we share that freshly caught Bass or Mackerel. Flushing out the wildlife so i can get that Photo, the country walks. Seeing the way my family light up when they see this slobbering mass coming at them.

Love it..
    Ozzy Born 19th March 2012

Axel Born 19th Aug 2009

Never moon a werewolf....